Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Now, this might be an impossible task, but I'm aiming to run the Bristol Half Marathon (September) in a sub 2 hr time (maybe even 1:45) - big bet on !! :d . What's the real tip of the trade to increase speed. I'm sure I need a longer stride, is this something that can be learned with training or is it a case of work with what you've got.

Granty.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Granty said:
Morning all. What's the real tip of the trade to increase speed. .
The best sharpener I've found is 800m intervals. These are best done on the track, but otherwise run three minutes fast with three minutes recovery. Start with four and work up to eight. I use these for sharpening up over 10K but I'm sure it will be just as beneficial over half marathon distance.
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
definitely only include one lot a of speed work a week once your training starts back up again for the september 1/2 and make sure you have good comfortable runs either side of your speed work sessions.

Interval work like foxy has mentioned, but also try tempo runs for instance over 5 miles do 1 mile slow warm up and then pick up your pace for the next 3 you should only be able to punch words out, then nice and gentle 1 mile warm down.

Best of luck :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds like your setting yourself up for a long hard summer Granty.

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this what they call Fartlek traing ? so, if I was going on a usual run .... say 5 miles then I would run fast for 3 minutes and then recover for 3 minutes.

I'll try it tomorrow when I go out again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Granty said:
Is this what they call Fartlek training ? so, if I was going on a usual run .... say 5 miles then I would run fast for 3 minutes and then recover for 3 minutes.I'll try it tomorrow when I go out again.Thanks.
I suppose it could be called 'structured fartlek' - but if you're not on a track find somewhere dead flat so that you can maintain a steady speed. When I'm not on the track I run on the local riverbank: jog a mile from home, do 6 x 3 mins fast with 3 mins recovery, then jog home. If there's any semblance of a hill in your route it will destroy your rhythm and have you struggling so make sure it's dead flat.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I used to do lots of speed work and fartlek... didn't really enjoy it to be honest, and I never gained much speed over long distances from it... so I stopped doing speed work and started doing hill training.

The results of the hill training were incredible...I was taking 8 to 10 minutes off PBs consistently!

Arn't hills great :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try both methods and see how I get on, luckily I'm only a mile or so away from Dundry - have you ever run around there Trinity ? (Hilly as you like)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Trinity said:
I used to do lots of speed work and fartlek... didn't really enjoy it to be honest, and I never gained much speed over long distances from it... so I stopped doing speed work and started doing hill training.

The results of the hill training were incredible...I was taking 8 to 10 minutes off PBs consistently!

Arn't hills great :)
Crikey Trinity that is great, well worth considering, in my last training schedule it only told me to do hill work once, might just stick in a few more when my training kicks back in. Not sure I will enjoy it but it is a challenge none the less :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
One thing I`m not short of where I am is hills.

How would you suggest I use them in my training.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Trinity said:
I used to do lots of speed work and fartlek... didn't really enjoy it to be honest, and I never gained much speed over long distances from it... so I stopped doing speed work and started doing hill training.The results of the hill training were incredible...I was taking 8 to 10 minutes off PBs consistently! Arn't hills great :)
Living on top of the Pennines it's impossible to go out of the house without encountering hills, so most of my regular runs involve many hundreds of feet of ascent - sometimes thousands. It was these hills that gave me strength and endurance to go the distance in marathons and tough fell races. But it was SPEED WORK that gave me sub-three hour marathons and fell championships. It's a matter of getting the balance right. I'd never go into an important race without doing speed work.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Know any good pubs with an upstairs!:d
My local is at the top of a hill.

But running that way might mean rolling down it a couple of hours later.......:embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:

But running that way might mean rolling down it a couple of hours later.......:embarrassed:
Sounds like a good plan to me Dave... :d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave said:

Make sure you run up and down it a few times.......that will make you really thirsty!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Dave said:
One thing I`m not short of where I am is hills.

How would you suggest I use them in my training.
Come on then,how am I going to use the hills in a constructive and structured way,in my training schedule.

I must get that sub 50 min. 10k this year.

If Granty`s doing it ,so am I...................................................:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Speedwork and hill sessions are the way to go...but I hate them!
Don't do too much too soon...usual advice...and only do either or once a week.

I'm convinced my sessions caused my groin injury and now I'm wary when striding out as I'm desparate not to pick up a groin injury again preFLM.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Dave,
I think you are supposed to run up fast for about 200 meters so so and then jog back down and repeat 4 or 5 times. I've always been scared of speed and hill work because I'm so injury prone but I want to get a little bit faster.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It is difficult to do speed/hillwork SE but after the first 3/4 sessions it gets easier...sort of!

I'd suggest that you start by doing a session where you only go a bit quicker on each rep than you normally run..ie don't overstretch yourself....but do work that bit harder. Don't do too many reps to start with and keep them short...say 50metres.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts