Runners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently started running again after a number of years break. I'm just wondering how I go about increasing my distance? I get to 5k and I'm just done. How can I improve? Thanks in advance. Also how many times per week should I be running to improve my fitness and distance?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi - what sort of distance were you doing before your break, and how often were you running? How often now? A rough idea of pace might be useful too. Basically, are you trying to get back to where you've been before, or are you trying to go beyond that?

A simple answer to your last question might be 'more than what you're doing at the moment', but I suspect that's more simplistic than simple :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate. I was previously doing some circuit training a few years ago. Twice per week which always started with a timed warm up run. 2 miles, then I would do a park 5k run every other Saturday. 5k was always the furthest I've ran, but was always striving to beat my best time. The best I managed was 21mins 20 seconds. I've been running again for 1 week tomorrow. Last night I did my 3rd proper run. I have been reading up on lots of different aspects, on Sunday a decided to concentrate on my posture a bit more, I've always ran and been watching my feet causing me to run in an incorrect posture ( so I've recently read). So Sunday afternoon i did 5k, and after 4k I was really struggling but I completed it without stopping or walking. Yesterday evening, I decided on a different route, again concentrating on keeping my back straight, and head up. I set off at a steadier pace. I was feeling good after 4k. Relaxed, my breathing was controlled so I thought I'd see if I could do 6k. I kept telling myself I could do it, then my watch buzzed at 6k, my an was to walk back to the car after 6k, but I decided to continue on the final lap. I completed the final lap, checked my watch and id ran 8.65k. I've rested today, I'm a little stiff not bad though. My an is to do 5k tomorrow and 5k on Saturday, but try to run faster than last weeks 5k. Then I will try the longer run again next Monday. Any advice would be great. Thanks pal

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for all the info. My first suggestion would be - be patient :) You say you only restarted a week ago, and have run 3 times; I would give it a good few weeks, if not months, before you start looking for definite improvements. If they happen before then, great, but I wouldn't worry too much if they don't.

Also, easy for me to say, but at least initially I wouldn't worry too much about distances and times. Just take it steady, perhaps not even timing yourself, and enjoy it. If you feel terrible, stop. If you feel great, carry on. Don't start trying to improve until you feel you're properly back into it, otherwise I suspect you'll get injured and be back to square one.

Regarding the posture, I'm definitely no expert on that sort of thing. I would tend to suggest run in whatever way makes you feel most comfortable, or least uncomfortable anyway :) It might be different if you had your own qualified coach monitoring you and giving specific advice, but I would be wary of taking too much from a book.

Hope that's of some use; apologies if not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I did a 5k tonight, but found it quite tough. I'm having 2 rest days now. I don't think I was fully rested from the longer run the other evening. I will be taking your advice and maybe reducing the number of times I run per week. The thing is, I'm at work during the day, and I look forward to going for a run. I will just have to be sensible about it. Cheers for the advice. I appreciate it .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tricky. Can you go for a (brisk) walk on your rest days, so at least you're doing something? I'm currently injured (quadriceps tendonitis) and the (NHS) physio has told me to stop running, so it's just walking for me. No, it's not the same, but it's better than nothing. If I push it I can crack 13 minute mile pace :)

But yes, if you feel your body is telling you to ease off, then it's probably a good idea to do so. Is just running slower an option, until you rebuild your running stamina?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a self employed gardener, and I go from job to job. This time of year, there is lots of mowing to do so I will be still active. Last Friday I did 1 lawn on 1 of bigger properties and I turned the gps on on my watch. When I'd finished mowing the big lawn, I'd covered 4.5km. I've got quite a big job on tomorrow and I think I will cover 8 or 9k on that 1 job. My next run on Saturday/Sunday will be 5k but run at a much steadier pace.
I actually found the 8.5 k run the other night easier than the 5k tonight, but I did set off at a nice easy pace. I think for the next month or so I'm going to try and just settle in nice and slow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You where absolutely spot on. I ran 1 more 5k, I felt a click in my ankle and the pain started. That was 13 days ago. Still got pain, been unable to run since. Been struggling with daily Mobility since. Pain has subsided slightly over the last day or 2

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ouch. Worth seeing the doc? Presumably that's not easy when you're self employed, and they might just tell you to rest it anyway. But it might be something that needs treatment; I would give them a go if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, easy for me to say, but at least initially I wouldn't worry too much about distances and times. Just take it steady, perhaps not even timing yourself, and enjoy it. If you feel terrible, stop. If you feel great, carry on. Don't start trying to improve until you feel you're properly back into it, otherwise I suspect you'll get injured and be back to square one.
Absolutely this. Listen to your body.
If you feel like running a bit more that your usual 5k then add in a little loop to make it 5.1 or 5.2k for example. Make the loops bigger when you feel ready.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts