Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know any good way to boost my vital capacity? My total expiratory respiratory volume is just over 6 litres which is above average, but I want to get it pretty damn high. I'm aware of the "lung trainers" you can buy for £50+ but I'm on a fairly tight budget. So are there any exercises which help build up vital capacity which don't involve buying equipment or going to pilates etc? I was thinking something like blowing up inflatable beach balls or balloons may strengthen them and build them up but I'm not sure if there's enough opposing force from the inflatable to make it efficient. Are there any experts in respiratory physiology on here who can give me advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im not aware of any, but i sure would love to know too.

After my very bad smoking habit my lung capacity and strength is massively comprimised so anything i can do to help releive the damage done by the smoking is greatly appreciated.

Ive noticed that im getting steadily better since quitting, but its the one thing that is holding me back on my runs... the agony in my lungs and the gasping for breath.. the legs are fine, im not too far off the 5k mark but the lungs let me down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts