Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im just wondering what you guys drink when you've just got back from a long run??

do you drink right away? how much do you drink?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hydrating

I normally drink water as soon as I get back. Sometimes I meet the family in a pub at the end of a long off-road run then I have a pint of water before getting on the beer. Great for getting some carbs as well as hydrating.

Chocolate milk is also good. Protein & Carbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read earlier in the week about someone who has a pint of water with two teaspoons of suger and one salk mixed in... not sure if it was on this site, but has anyone tried anything like that before? sounds like it would work, sugar for energy and the salt you loose through sweating?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
After a long run I drink a chocolate milk shake as I read somewhere you are supposed to eat a snack with protein in it within half an hour of your run but I rarely feel like eating solids after a long run (well not within 30 mins) but I'll usually drink a couple of large glasses of water or squash as well.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I usually drink water and sometimes have a couple of boiled eggs for protein or a fruit smoothie, like SE don't normally feel very hungry straight away.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dudemark, I've tried the pint of water with sugar & salt, and it is basically all that you get in an Isotonic drink but a lot less tasty! So it's a good idea if you can stomach it. The poor guy who died in the London Marathon this year did so because he drunk too much water without replacing salts at the same time, so it's especially important in hot weather.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I drink isotonic drinks before, during and post running as I need to take replace salts regadless of the heat. After a race as I've had so much juice( and some water) it's coffee from my flask.

I'm also one of those odd runners who seems to defy convention and drink coffee before a race. Caffeine seems to pick me up and not dehydrate me in any way.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Steve said:
I drink isotonic drinks before, during and post running as I need to take replace salts regadless of the heat. After a race as I've had so much juice( and some water) it's coffee from my flask.

I'm also one of those odd runners who seems to defy convention and drink coffee before a race. Caffeine seems to pick me up and not dehydrate me in any way.
I read this week caffeine taken an hour before you run/race will help with your performance, caffeine taken when resting works as a diuretic. So there you go Steve keep on with the coffee :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
There is 6 times more caffeine in coffee than in tea so you should be fine :eek:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I really struggled on Sundays run because I got a little dehydrated. Being fair I don't cope to well with extremes of heat and although I had water with me I started feeling sick and tired after about an hour or so. I'm guessing stress must also accelerate the process as well????

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Interesting SE!, I find that how well I run (as I nearly always run in the evening) does depend on what sort of a day at work I have had. Nearly always run better at the weekends and I'm sure that not working / stress is a factor.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
dudemark said:
i read earlier in the week about someone who has a pint of water with two teaspoons of suger and one salk mixed in... not sure if it was on this site, but has anyone tried anything like that before? sounds like it would work, sugar for energy and the salt you loose through sweating?
If you read about it on this site it was probably me who posted it. I reported somewhere that when I get back from a long run, or a hard training session, I drink a glass of water with four teaspoons of sugar and a tiny pinch of salt. It's cheap and works as well for me as the fancy stuff you buy in shops. After an 'easy' run I just have a mug of tea, sometime with a couple of teaspoons of sugar, though I don't normally have sugar in tea.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I tend to make my own isotonic drinks as well but I use half fruit juice, water and a pinch of salt. I tried powerade and it made me want to gag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts