Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, right this is a weird one for you.
Yeterday i was down the beach with my daughters laying on the sunbed that was positioned in front of the beach hut that i have. My beach hut backs on to the car park for the beach. I was laying reading runners world!!! When bang i went flying about a meter forward a load crash, some old boy drove straight into the back of the beach hut which then hit me and thats how i ended up where i did.
Im still in shock because i nearly laid the bed down and layed on my front which then in turn would have meant the hut would have gone into my head, but it hit my back so i was lucky.
Went minor injuries after the police came to take some details, because i have back stiffness slight pain, they said its muscular so im just taking it day at time.
So if things are fine and i go running when im up to it, what should i be looking out for in case something is wrong with my back, and how long do you think i should wait to run again or just go when it feels fine.

These things only happen to me haha Hayley

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Whiplash/muscular injuries can take a while to heal..and sometimes never do. I'd go to your GP if I was you to make sure the symptoms are recorded asap and to get any necessary treatment. You need to be aware of compensatory injuries that can arise because you start to move in such a way as to keep pain away from the injury site. Running might well impact upon the injury so be careful.

BTW....serves you right for being on the beach whilst the rest of us were at work!!
Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for a laugh steve the beach see my boobs as my bikini top wasnt strapped up and it feel down, hope i didnt know anyone haha

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No dont think so Steve, wasnt at the front of the queue when god handed out large breasts, petite size 8, best things come in small packages isnt that what they say hahaha

An update this morn, feel fine was quite lucky really but now out blue lower back is sore more on one side than the other when my foot touches floor but im going to g.p today see what he says. I hope i can go running tomorrow see how things go, priorities ah

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Whiplash/muscular injuries can take a while to heal..and sometimes never do.
Bet that made you feel better Hayley......................:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Bet that made you feel better Hayley......................:d
I tell it how it is....tends to be the best policy in my business.

Of course symptoms can improve reasonably quickly too...for the sake of balance you understand!:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
hayley1977 said:
No dont think so Steve, wasnt at the front of the queue when god handed out large breasts, petite size 8, best things come in small packages isnt that what they say hahaha

An update this morn, feel fine was quite lucky really but now out blue lower back is sore more on one side than the other when my foot touches floor but im going to g.p today see what he says. I hope i can go running tomorrow see how things go, priorities ah
So I'm told. :embarrassed: ;)

Glad you feel a bit better. PM me if you want to discuss potential claim.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys, this morning my g.p said its just muscle strain so ill just get on with it. Ill go on my treadmill tonight so im close to home.:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hayley,
I wouldn't bother running just yet hon you will probably make it worse. Rest it for a few more days yet

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done just that SE, but still out of action, havent run yet as my back is still painful.
Tried just doing my situps and floor exercises that i do couple times a week and that hurt so its still not great news.
Im wondering if running will make it worse but until i can do my normal jobs around the house with out it hurting then maybe i shouldnt, what do you think?
So not happy about this!!!:(

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
sorry to hear about your injury Hayley, didn't read how it happened coz my pc is being very temperamental and won't go back to the first page. But any neck/back/spinal injury should be treated with utmost respect or it can go on for years.

Basically, if it hurts don't do it.

However it is important with back injuries to keep mobile...so do what you can, but stop if it hurts.

Sending healing vibes

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that, going to see if i can have a physio session, maybe it will help.
But only one small race planned this year, sep 16th 5km but im after a PB of around 21mins fingers crossed. All other races have fallen around my 30th bday and i have things planned for weekends b4 and after cant wait!!!!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its St Luke's 5km charity run Gloucester park 16th sep 11.30am, i done this last year which was its 1st one but was well organised. This year there making it more inviting to the less competitive runner, as there was a lot of team runners there last year, i missed out on 3rd women as well so im aiming for a PB this time. If your interested contact Kerry Knowles 01268 272292 for entry form and i might see you there.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:( An update on injury, went running for the first time since accident, changed route as i didnt feel great and about 2.5miles my top of shoulders and neck hurt so struggled back home with sore back too. Feel really disheartened about it really,as i was doing so well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts