Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else suffered with pain in their inner thigh?? it goes from the groin down to the knee but on the inside of the leg. It feels quite a 'deep' pain and not something in the main hamstring etc.

I had this problem last year and was unable to compete in 2 half marathons, i had acupuncture & Tui Na massage (which i highly recommend) and it eventually went. But it took a good few months and i couldnt run for a long time. It has taken me quite a while to build back up to where i was, fitness wise. I thought the main problem then was over training and i have been really careful since, to make sure i have rest days and 'easier' weeks.

I am now beginning to get 'twinges' again, and i have a half marathon in 2 weeks. I will have some massages again before hand, but im really worried about not being able to complete again. Just wondered if anyone else had ever suffered with this and what they did to help.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi Jules, sorry to hear about your plaguing injury :(

My first thoughts are to ask if you've seen a physio? Obvously that's the ideal way to find the route cause of the problem. I only ever tend to find my inner thigh muscles get tired if I've been (attempting) horse riding.

It sounds like you perhaps have a muscular or biomechanical imbalance that's causing the inner thigh to be used where it's not intended to be? I may be way off the mark though, as it seems a very strange one because I wouldn't have thought the inner thigh muscle would really do anything (except stabilisation perhaps?) whilst running.

Whatever the cause, I hope the twinges don't escalate any further. Best of luck in your upcoming event.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard

I may have to go and see a physio as i cant be out of training for that long again, i was so depressed. Its just my luck that i have bene fine all year and now 2 weeks before my main event i get an injury!!

Thanks again!!:)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've found that these niggling injuries always appear in the run up to a race, especially if running for charity. Let's hope it's just nerves. Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Jules!

Whats the latest with your pain? Did you see a physio, if so, what'd they say?

I have it now. First it was on my right though, and tonight the left feels really tender.

I feel so frustrated. Im getting pain and ache one after the other, i feel so depressed by it all. I can run through it but its just getting more and more soar.

The more this continues the more i feel that my running shoes are just not right for me anymore, and maybe im not over-pronating as much as I was. Ah man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jules,

I once had a problem whilst sprinting. I performed a total of 3 sprints. On my third sprint I felt a certain weakness in my inner thigh and then a pull. I kept going and then I felt a really strong pull in the muscle and then a great deal of pain (muscle going into spasm, contracting uncontrollably) . I had pulled the muscle badly and was not able to walk or stretch properly for 7 weeks. I think you may have done the same injury to yourself. I would recommend if you start to feel the muscle weakness or any spasm then slow down and not return to full speed.

You may not take supplements but I take L-glutamine before and after. I have found it helps with sore muscles but is not particularly helpful when the muscle has been pulled badly. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jules,

Sorry I had to cut my internet session short. I have found stretching the inner thigh to really help. A really good stretch after warming up would be sitting on the floor with legs wide apart. Then leaning forward from the waist with the legs and back straight. If you can grip your feet with your hands or just push them forward. The aim, eventually, is to touch the floor with your nose. You won't be able to bend much at first but even this will really give the inner thighs a good stretch. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times, going lower each time. If you time your breathing correctly it helps - breathe in fully whilst upright and breath out fully when lowering into the stretch.

If you do this stretch at least 3 times a week it should help with reducing/eliminating pulling the inner thigh during exercise. Also, try running in the swimming pool or adding incline and decreasing speed if you use a traedmill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts