Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading up I decided I should be doing some different types of running.

I've been running 3 times per week.

So I decided that one of the runs should be speed work - 5km fartlek type interval training.

The next (two days later) should be a pace run, ran at a set pace.

The final run of the week (3 days later) should be a long run at a relatively slow pace.

Then back to the speed work 2 days later.

So I we made up a run for the interval style training which started with a warm up, then occasional sprints to landmarks, then recovery until HR was back down, then another sprint etc.

It was hard work (as expected) however it left me and my friend with painful legs. We both had to miss the pace run 2 days later. We were OK for today's long run but it took too long to recover.

For me the pain is on my left leg on the inner edge just below my calf on the edge of the shin (Shin splints?). It doesn't hurt all the time but does when I walk as I put pressure on it. I could feel it slightly on today's long run (21km) but only really when going downhill.

I've had similar pain earlier in the year when running a fast 5km parkrun. It seems if I push my legs much beyond a 5:00/km pace then get a pain in my left leg.

Obviously the sprints of the interval training go too fast so cause the pain.

I want to do interval training to improve speed but don't want to have to miss runs due to injury.

How can I start and progress with this?

Do I need to do anything to try and address the pain I get? I'm not sure if it is related but 18 months ago I had what at the time was diagnosed as gout in my left ankle. The build up of uric acid crystals caused agony in my left ankle (couldn't walk for a week or so), a bit below where this pain is. I still have high levels of Uric acid but haven't had any further attacks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
(Not an answer to your question, but a general discussion.)

I'm no expert, but I'm returning to running now and building up towards a running schedule that includes intervals on a treadmill.

I'm developing the interval bit slowly. Didn't start at all until I was running 5K twice a week, and even now the 'burst' speed in the session which has become treadmill intervals is not very fast.

Given what has happened to you, I'm now feeling that building up the speed of the burst phase of the interval training slowly over months rather than just suddenly adding as fast as possible bursts, is perhaps me being accidentally sensible.

When you started the intervals, how did you choose how fast to go during the burst phase? For me I started by adding 1km/hr to a speed I knew I could do easily. Which felt silly at the time, but ...

My extreme conservatism has been prompted by my last running era ending due to ITB issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I literally went as fast as I could during the 'fast' parts. It is hard to do much else when out and about. I'm watching my garmin watch but the speed/pace is often too slow to respond. I was thinking about using HR instead as that updates a bit quicker.

Perhaps if I aim for say 145bpm for normal running, then up it to say 155bpm for the faster sections. That would then take into consideration effort, meaning that I'd have to go faster downhills and slower uphills.

Again it isn't fool proof as my HR can take a few seconds to increase but I'd say it was the quickest to change.

I don't really understand why I'm finding it causes pain when going fast it didn't used to. I can go out now and run a half marathon in under 2 hours and have no pain what-so-ever, but if I go and run a parkrun I'll come home in agony. Obviously I can run the 5km at Half Marathon pace and get no pain, but it'll be a slow 5km. I was able to run a 5km in under 22mins and probably could just about today but would be left in pain. I had hoped to try and get the 5km time down to under 20mins.

It just feels frustrating or that I'm doing something wrong! I'm ending up getting slower the more running I do! Hopefully over time it will settle out again.

I've also lost weight - around a stone in weight dropped this year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interval trading is brilliant and well worth doing. You should take care when doing sprints though, these place massive demands on your body. When fatigued your running form will deteriorate so be mindful. If you are running as fast as you can, then you are around 100% intensity. Sprints will rest for several minutes between reps at this level. I'd target your fastest race pace for your fast intervals e.g. 5k pace of intervals longer or maybe 1 mile pace of short. Your body will take time to adapt as well, so start conservatively.
Apologies if this is a bit dry, an in airport and tired!
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts