Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking to get into some interval training.:eek:
I could do with some assistance in devising a decent program. Only looking to do one a week. I run on av 18+ miles a week.
I use a HRM on most runs so any suggestion on how I could incorporate my monitor would be useful.
Thanks in advance guys.

Stupot:d

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's so much variety with intervals - if you have access to a track or use a garmin, something as simple as running 200m or 400m with a jog recovery constitutes interval training.
For example 12 x 400m with 200m jog recoveries, but the aim is to do the last 400m the same speed as the first! Using your HR as well, you would expect your working heart rate to be up at about 95%, and on your recovery making sure it drops to at least 70%.

Either that or timed runs, e.g. 3.5 minutes at effort (95% WHR) and 1.5 minutes jog recovery (<70% WHR) x 6 times.

You should find that intervals really improve your running performance :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing i do when doing intervals of 1, 2 or 3 mins is count the number of strides, counting one for every second landing of my left foot. If i am running with constant effort and pace i should count to 45 each minute. This enables me to have an idea of when the interval will end, and by doing reps over the same piece of ground i can also see the distance i have covered. It helps me in my judgement and also lets me know when i am struggling as the 45 count becomes 50 when my stride shortens, and it takes my mind off the pain. Alternatilvely you can use a beeper of say 45 beeps per minute (on my watch, 6.99 from lidl including stop watch and countdown timer) instead of counting and try to stick to the rhythm, but i find this harder and it annoys other people with the beeps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts