Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...How many of you do it? I quite enjoy it in a sadistic, self-torturous way :)

And can anybody point out the difference between interval and fartlek training for me? :confused:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
RR.

I do it on a rota with other types of harder training.

The difference as I see it is that interval training is more specific with time,distance and/or pacing

Fartlek is when you run at different but constant paces over no set distance randomly throughout your run, maybe between lamp posts or trees, on one occasion at 6mins/mile then on the next maybe at 7 mins a mile.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No idea of the difference either, looking oforward to the answer on that one. I'm on the verge of adding some interval/fartlek training into my week to try and drop some PB times as I seem to be getting close to a brick wall.

Sorry Hotfoot, I must have taken ages to add this, cheers for that !

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RR.

I do it on a rota with other types of harder training.

The difference as I see it is that interval training is more specific with time,distance and/or pacing

Fartlek is when you run at different but constant paces over no set distance randomly throughout your run, maybe between lamp posts or trees, on one occasion at 6mins/mile then on the next maybe at 7 mins a mile.
Cheers HF! Sounds like interval training would be best for trying to determine your own pace/ability etc.

I guess Fartlek relies on you knowing what kind of pace you're running at... maybe needs a little more experience/intuition?

Always good to vary training a bit so will try this at some point I think.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea of the difference either, looking oforward to the answer on that one. I'm on the verge of adding some interval/fartlek training into my week to try and drop some PB times as I seem to be getting close to a brick wall.

Sorry Hotfoot, I must have taken ages to add this, cheers for that !
From what I understand, either method works on both aerobic and anerobic fitness so plenty of benefit to be had. I'm sure if you worked something into your regime you'd feel the benefit.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
all the different types of speed training will compliment each other.

Fartlek running is a good way to make the transition between easy running and speed training.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonight my training entailed:

warm up and 5 minute jog
6 laps of a 0.92(!) mile circuit (slow, fast, slow, fast, slow, fast)
5 minute jog and cool down

I can't find a convenient 1-mile circuit nearby - 0.92 will do for now! My 'fast' circuits clocked at 5m43s, 5m49s and 5m46s. Although the only thing that kept me going through the fast circuits was knowing I could slow right down at the end ;)

My target is to run 10 miles at sub-70 at Great South Run in October. Hopefully I'm on course for that, but plenty more time for training yet. My record for a 10-mile is 75m 46s. I know that's a major chunk to take off my PB but I feel like I'm working a lot harder this time!

If anybody has any advice about targets and/or any useful sessions to involve in my training I'd be really grateful.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guess Fartlek relies on you knowing what kind of pace you're running at... maybe needs a little more experience/intuition
Not at all RR... no need to know you pace, just run hard for a certain distance - that's the beauty of fartlek, it's whatever you make it to be whilst you're out and running - as long as you can honestly say you had to work harder, it'll have done you some good :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts