Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my usual run as normal but went a different route and forgot my ipod, when i returned home i realised i had just put an extra mile on without even noticing im wondering if maybe the ipod had something to do with this or perhaps the different area through my senses off slightly, my body doesnt seem to have noticed lol.

Oh well not complaining im gonna extend my usual route next time and see what happens.
Watch this space.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
dan_done1 said:
Just finished my usual run as normal but went a different route and forgot my ipod, when i returned home i realised i had just put an extra mile on without even noticing im wondering if maybe the ipod had something to do with this or perhaps the different area through my senses off slightly, my body doesnt seem to have noticed lol.

Oh well not complaining im gonna extend my usual route next time and see what happens.
Watch this space.

I've noticed one or two similar posts, where people have done a run without their usual musical accompaniment, and have reported improved performance.
I've never used Walkmans/iPods whilst running, even though I love music, so I couldn't really say if there was a benefit or otherwise in taking your music with you. View attachment 425

I've found that there's nearly always a song in my head when I run anyway. Although sometimes it's not one that I'd necessarily choose!:mad:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I have found my pace does match the tempo of the songs, as a result I try to keep my ipod filled with up tempo songs and those with perhaps a slightly harder beat to them.

Squint

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's each to their own... I'm far from convinced that anyone can run to their full potential whilst listening to music, though I can imagine it might be able to take your mind of the running and let you run along in a sort of distracted state. As squint says, the body will naturally try to match the tempo of the songs - whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is personal opinion :)

From my point of view, I used to run with an mp3 player, but don't anymore.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've just entered the New Forest Half Marathon (one of only two races a year I do, just to keep me focused) and I notice that they have stated 'The wearing of headphones, earphones or any in-ear audio device is prohibited under UKA rules'

I've never come across that ruling before and I'm not sure that it'll be strictly applied either as around 50% of runners last year seemed to have some kind wire assisting them!

Anyone else come across that rule?

·
Registered
835 Posts
dimple said:
No as I'm new to running, but I wonder if it's a Health & Safety issue
Oh no....., I hope not, I'm getting very tired of the H&S idiots ruining just about every aspect of our lives!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
scr8pe said:
I've just entered the New Forest Half Marathon (one of only two races a year I do, just to keep me focused) and I notice that they have stated 'The wearing of headphones, earphones or any in-ear audio device is prohibited under UKA rules'

I've never come across that ruling before and I'm not sure that it'll be strictly applied either as around 50% of runners last year seemed to have some kind wire assisting them!

I've noticed this rule in triathlons before.

I prefer not wearing my Ipod during a race, as I'd miss the atmosphere of the event.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i always take my mp3 player whenever i go for a run...

seriously, wouldn't have stuck to running without it...

when i'm not with my mp3 (e.g. when cycling) i get bored and within 10 minutes i'm heading home...

so my mp3 is absolutely essential for me...

the only time i don't take it is if i have a race...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Grant said:
Scr8pe said:
Originally Posted by scr8pe

I've noticed this rule in triathlons before.

I prefer not wearing my Ipod during a race, as I'd miss the atmosphere of the event.
I've only run two races, one with, one without and I must admit that although it was a quicker run, I missed the atmosphere when I had my ipod on.

Having said that, I was somewhat fitter for the second (ipod assisted) race. The next race will not be musically assisted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts