Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that ireland is now one of the richest countries in the world. I haven't been back in years. Does anyone know much about it. Is divorce legal now, or abortion? oh, yeah I'm running the marathon!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ireland has done very well economically over the last 15 years or so and is now one of the most expensive countries in the world. Divorce is legal. Abortion isn't.

Hope this helps with your marathon preparation...:suspicious:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ireland and the Dublin Marathon No. 2

I've been told that ireland is now one of the richest countries in the world. I haven't been back in years. Does anyone know much about it. Is divorce legal now, or abortion? oh, yeah I'm running the marathon!
I am just saying that it should be very interesting for those of us who have not been to ireland in many years, some since childhood, to see it's transforormation. I might not be that intrigued by the old stuff this time. I want to see just what the "celtic tiger" has done to "old smoke" Maybe it's just me, but I think that history in the making is pretty cool to watch. I was purely using words like abortion and divorce above as examples of the country's changes. Oh yeah, and their are running out of priests and nuns! no joke.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ireland has done very well economically over the last 15 years or so and is now one of the most expensive countries in the world. /QUOTE]

I can vouch for that! A one week holiday in Kerry in our caravan wiped out our bank account this summer. Was fantastic though

Michael

·
Registered
516 Posts
I lived in Dublin for 8 years up until recently. It is, or used to be anyway, one of the wealthiest countries in Europe per head of capita whilst the Celtic Tiger was at it's height. It may well still be despite being in a downturn now, the same as everywhere else I suppose. It is still a very expensive place to visit, but well worth it. The recent boom has completely transformed Dublin and it looks fantastic. It is a wonderful place. I can't wait to go back next month!

Hope you enjoy your visit and the marathon :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey All,

I live in Dublin and your all more or less right! Ireland has a very highly educated workforce as the Government decided to make university free a long time ago. Because of that we ended up beign quite attractive to foreign companies looking for an english speaking workforce in Europe. Things have slowed down a bit here recently but I think the population has learned alot from the past 15 years of growth and will be looking for more ways to keep the good times rolling if they can!

On a marathon related topic:p I ran Dublin Marathon last year and had a really great time.
It's a great Marathon if your looking for a course with tons of supporters and a good buzz. The route isn't too punishing with only a few hills, and none of them especially tough (although going over a speed bump at mile 23 can feel like a mountain!:)

The race also goes through the Phoenix park which is the largest walled park in Europe, with tons of wild Red deer roaming about the place!

It's a race that's very easy to enjoy!

Don't forget to have a pint of the black stuff though when your finished!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Folks,

This is my first post here, have been looking at the site for a few weeks and you seem like a nice bunch! ;)
I have run the Dublin Marathon the last 2 years and enjoyed it both times. There is a good buzz around the city the whole weekend and it is well supported by the public. As timebandit was saying the course isnt to tough, its also a pretty nice route and likes to be known as "the friendly marathon" . would recommend it.
Im running Berlin next month and debating wether to try dublin a month later? Entry is open until 1st week in october anyway so no rush....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome Eau. Sounds like you are quite an experienced runner.

Hi Hrun,

To be honest im not that experienced a runner, Berlin will only be my 3rd and Dublin maybe? the 4th.
I have never joined a running club or anything and train by myself most of the time. Did a bit a running in school back in the day, I was never the fastest but had that bit of endurance from somewhere which made the cross country runs a better fit. Never ran a competitive road race though and decided in 06 that id try the Dublin Marathon...loved every bit of it and now im hooked. Its a great way to see cities and being amongst people who also like to challenge themselves.
How about you?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thats experienced in my book. I started like a lot of people to lose weight. Longest run to date is 12 miles slowly. I have yet to enter a race at all. A marathon is a long way off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all, I'm based in the north of ireland (just over the border really) and Dublin is hopefully going to be my first marathon. I chose it over Belfast because 1. I was told it is easier (Belfast has some pretty sharp inclines and a very long extended climb up the Antrim Road!) and 2. I thought it might be more interesting.

Sounds like I made the right choice. Just hope I make it. Slight Calf strain at the moment. Did some bike work tonight to avoid further damage but the psycholgical thing of missing a weeks actual running is playing on my mind!:(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Slight Calf strain at the moment. Did some bike work tonight to avoid further damage but the psycholgical thing of missing a weeks actual running is playing on my mind!:(
I wouldnt worry about it KD, could be worse, could of happened this time next month. You did well to stop running for a while and avoid making it worse. If you had some training done prior to the injury, you should have plenty of time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Eau Rouge

you have done Dublin twice? can you recommend a good place to leave the car and to meet with family after the event? going down for a reccy at the start of October. I am reasonably familiar with Dublin but want to get the organisation right for the day itself!

·
Registered
188 Posts
KD;73217 can you recommend a good place to leave the car and to meet with family after the event? going down for a reccy at the start of October. I am reasonably familiar with Dublin but want to get the organisation right for the day itself![/QUOTE said:
Hi KD,
I stayed at the Jurys Inn, Custom House Quay last 2 times. Even if your not staying the night you should be able to find a car space at the hotel. The hotel is halfway between O'Connell bridge and the Point Theatre, on the riverside. You have a 10 min walk to Stephens Green for the start, 10 mins is a nice walk to warm up anyway. There will be no traffic restrictions near the hotel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts