Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been finding it harder to run the past week because the air is so cold going into my lungs and i find breathing not as easy as it was.

Do other people have this problem? Its not stopping me running, just a bit irratating...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I prefer winter running too.....as long as it isn't actually raining as I go out the door!

What I don't like is ice so that's when the treadmill comes into its own.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I find it harder to get myself out the door in the winter but easier once I get running. Its so nice not to be hot and sweaty anymore!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
This will be my first taste of winter as a runner (jogger !) and I have to say so far I prefer it, much cooler and I actually like running when its raining outside. I think this might be to do with the fact I always trained for football on dark winter nights.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most runners seem to like winter. I must say that I found running through park land in the summer much easier than these cold evenings.
Understand what you say about breathing cold air, seems to make me tense-up.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I know the feeling Ginger.
I find the best way for me to deal with the breathing cold air problem is to make a point of breathing through the nose and out through the mouth.It might sound strange but it must warm the air up slightly I suppose.It's not always easy though and depends on my pace as you'd expect.
Another option is to perhaps not breathe at all!:p

·
Registered
151 Posts
It may be the case that we get more oxygen from cold air, so prefer running in the winter months. This is not based on scientific fact, but I know that motor car turbo chargers work better in cold air than hot, due to the air being more dense. Dense air has more oxygen.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ginger said:
Ive been finding it harder to run the past week because the air is so cold going into my lungs and i find breathing not as easy as it was. Do other people have this problem? Its not stopping me running, just a bit irratating...
I wear a lightweight Buff when it's very cold, basically to keep my neck warm, but it can be a headband, or a hat, or a balaclava. When you pull it up over your nose and mouth it warms the air you breathe in.
Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff guys, another quick one...im thinking of getting some sphere thermal tights from nike- i mean theyre not tights but more running tight trousers....are they a good idea?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts