Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a long, slow easy run of 12 miles today and my average pace was 7:32, which is about a minute slower than my race pace. Thing is I am still knackered after this. I thought the whole point of slow, long runs is that they are meant to be easy. Ok, it was easy on my heart and lungs as my heart rate stayed quite low and I never felt breathless or anything, but the last 2 or 3 miles still hurt my legs. My legs feel as do after a long run at race pace. Is this normal? Should I be running at an even slower pace for my long runs?

·
Registered
634 Posts
We're at different ends of the fitness spectrum so I'm not sure if my results will be relevant to you...but, if I keep to the recommended heart rate, my long slow runs are about 2 minutes/mile slower than race pace.

BTW: your long slow run pace is only a few seconds slower than my race pace. B**tard.:d:p

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
JB, you need to look up the word easy in the dictionary.

Maybe you would do better if we called it an easy jog. Slow down and give your legs a break.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Slow runs should be between 60-90secs slower than your steady pace I believe....and yes it is normal!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You're spot on JBBury, you're doing everything just fine! Pace sounds about perfect based on your race pace - and the point of the long slow runs isn't necessarily for it to be an easy run, it should be fairly easy on the heart/lungs, but you're testing the endurance of your legs/muscles, it's perfectly normal for them to get tired since that's exactly the circumstances we want the muscles to become accustomed to, pressing on when they're tired :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're spot on JBBury, you're doing everything just fine! Pace sounds about perfect based on your race pace - and the point of the long slow runs isn't necessarily for it to be an easy run, it should be fairly easy on the heart/lungs, but you're testing the endurance of your legs/muscles, it's perfectly normal for them to get tired since that's exactly the circumstances we want the muscles to become accustomed to, pressing on when they're tired :d

Thanks Richard. Good to know that. I think I will try and do more 12 mile + runs at this slower pace. I rarely run that far. Usually my long run is 10 miles, so that would explain the tiredness in my legs for the last couple of miles. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Up until recently I'd been extending my longer runs, usually around the 14/15mile mark, but I managed one or two at ~17-18miles... by comparison a 10mile run feels a LOT easier now... I'm sure a big part of it is psychological, but I can't recommend extending your longer runs enough, even if you never plan to race that kind of distance!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Up until recently I'd been extending my longer runs, usually around the 14/15mile mark, but I managed one or two at ~17-18miles... by comparison a 10mile run feels a LOT easier now... I'm sure a big part of it is psychological, but I can't recommend extending your longer runs enough, even if you never plan to race that kind of distance!

I've actually been thinking about doing some longer runs (15-18 miles), but the only thing that puts me off is the dehydration issue. I can run up to 13 miles without water (although I'm always slightly dehydrated by mile 12), but anything more and I need to make sure I'm properly hydrated. But I don't want to carry water with me as I have nowhere to hold it. Are there any tablets/sweets you can take for hydration? I mean would taking lucozade tablets, or something similar, both hydrate and give me the energy boost. I'm a complete novice when it comes to the big distances and want to make sure that I'm not going to end up feeling sick from it.

I did run 16.5 miles once without taking anything with me and the last 3 miles were hell because I was parched and felt nauseous.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
JB why dont you do what Steve does and hide a bottle of drink somewhere past 12 miles... In a bush or something.

I dont think anything could really replace a proper drink.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JB why dont you do what Steve does and hide a bottle of drink somewhere past 12 miles... In a bush or something.

I dont think anything could really replace a proper drink.

I think I'd be concerned about some NED finding it and pissing in it, or spiking it with some drug. I wonder if you can buy special belts or something to hold water bottles?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think I'd be concerned about some NED finding it and pissing in it, or spiking it with some drug. I wonder if you can buy special belts or something to hold water bottles?
Yes you can!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Goes to find a pic of her PINK BOTTLE BELT :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts