Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not too sure where i should of put this. I'd like to try doing a half marathon next year, i was putting it off this year. I like doing running, cycling, swimming, group exerise's classes, pliates and dancing, would that be ok to do all thoses things to slowly build me up for a marathon next year?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cross training is always useful as it works other muscle groups and can be used as 'active recovery' after a tough training session.

Don't forget though, if your running a half marathon the only way to train is by running. For a half marathon in particular you will need to put in the mileage on a regular basis.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There have been some interesting articles in RW recently about training for a marathon on 3 days a week of running - the long run is really important, but around that they've built two other days of shorter, faster runs and have also had two days x-training.

Personally I've always done heaps of x-training activities and think it does help lots with general fitness. However, if you want to be strongest then you definitely want to invest lots of time in running - unfortunately the general fitness thing only gets you so far...

One other thing - don't rush in getting up to marathon distance - try racing some 5km, 10km and HM races for a year or two first - they're fun and it's amazing how much experience you get and how you'll get faster - all of which will make your debut marathon all the more memorable!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts