Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Can anyone help with advice on this please?

I have a son who's 8 year's old who is has a good footballing talent. The one thing that seems to let him down compared to his peers is a noticable lack of pace.

In all general respects he's a fit & healthy young boy who's not overweight. There doesn't seem to be anything unusual or 'odd' about his running style.

Clearly some people can run faster than others. But is it simply that you're either born with 'pace' or your not? What can be learnt or taught about technique (suitable for this tender age) that might give him that extra 'half a yard'?

Any advice gratefully received.
Ta

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
At 8 years old I think its unlikely that you would be able to get him 'half a yard' increase, as a kids football coach myself I understand exactly what you mean. Is he really that much slower than everyone else or does it just seem that way ?

I have in lad in our team who is not quick but has a great footballing brain for such a young age and it more than makes up for his lack of pace.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I ran a boys side for 7 years from u10s through to u16s and although pace can be important it isn't the be all and end all....Teddy seems to done just fine wouldn't you agree?!

As my team progressed through the years some of those that were quick to start with lost some of their pace..or was it that the others gained on them as they matured? Who knows for sure.

Talent is the main thing. Once he gets older and stronger he can work on his pace by doing short sprints...relevant to football.

Just keep him away from the girls.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts