Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just completed my 2nd week's training with a 3 mile run ( 26 mins :d ) and it felt quite comfortable. So now I'm thinking about my 2 mile runs (two of them) next week: Shall I try to run them quicker than I have been previously, or just run them at my normal speed, as 2 miles seems a bit easy for me now.

Thanks in advance.

Garry

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Garry,

I'd advise that you increase the distance rather than the speed. Looking at your previous post I guess you are in the very early phase of a marathon plan from scratch. A lot of people talk about the 10% rule of adding mileage by this is a bit redundant at 2-3 miles and you are obviously a pretty natural runner if you times are dropping quickly (28 to 26 mins for your 3 miles). I'd just add a mile to each of your runs at this stage from the previous week.

I'd just try and run steady, running everything too quick is a sure way to get injured. If you want to see your progression, just do the 3 miler every few weeks to keep you motivated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LazyJones,

I'll stick with my original plan then. I'm due to increase to 4 miles next Friday so I will see how it goes. I asked because running 2 miles and finding it easy just seemed a bit of a waste of time. Obviously not then.

Just a quick example of my current plan, which is over 6 months.

week 1. 2 miles, 2 miles, 3 miles.
week 2. 2 miles, 2 miles, 3 miles.
week 3. 2 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles.
week 4. 2 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles <--- easy week

repeat above but add 1 mile to each run

·
Registered
348 Posts
If I'm honest I think you could up the mileage a bit quicker if you're finding it easy, and your body is not reacting. Also I would forgot the easy weeks early on in your schedule. People may need a week off if they are running high mileage but if your running 9 miles in week 4, there's no need to drop back to 7 miles in week 5.

I would think something like this would be better:

wk3: 3,3,4
wk4: 3,3,3,4
wk5: 3,4,3,5

A 2 mile run is too short to be of any real benefit if your finding it easy.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
2 miles may not be a great deal, but it's better than not heading out the door! It's only a mile shorter than your longest distance so far so make sure you still do them...

I'd agree though, as your times are dropping quite quickly you obviously have an aptitude for running so can probably afford to increase your mileage a little quicker than you'd planned, particularly as your total weekly mileage isn't particularly high at the moment. (Not to criticise what you've done so far at all! just that it would appear you're capable of more).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Garry,

Richard has a good point, I'm not saying 2 miles is a waste of time, any run is a good run. But if you are already finding these easy then you can obviously progress quicker than the plan you are following.

If you feel more comfortable, stick to what you've set out, but if you are frustrated and not stimulated by it, then don't be afraid to push it's boundaries within reason.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think you can easy add mileage Gary, i started at 3 mile runs, now i am up to nearly 10 miles i did 9.6 on sunday, my time is not the best at the moment, but i will work on that once i have established the miles.

I have suprised myself, and you being a natural your plan should be a breeze.

I started at 3 then 4.6 then 5.6 then 6.2 then 7 miles now i am on 9.6

Well done , keep up good work :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
LEECE said:
I started at 3 then 4.6 then 5.6 then 6.2 then 7 miles now i am on 9.6
Sorry for the thread hijack Garry but just out of interest...
Leece, what sort of timescale have you upped the milage over? I was at 3 then upped to 4 and a bit and have managed the occasional 6, but, find that even if I just do a 3 I can feel strong all the way round but if I try and go again the next day I'm mr.jelly-legs. Not sure if it's me or the cold or what. The times it has hapened are on night-time runs when it's below freezing.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Jason said:
Sorry for the thread hijack Garry but just out of interest...
Leece, what sort of timescale have you upped the milage over? I was at 3 then upped to 4 and a bit and have managed the occasional 6, but, find that even if I just do a 3 I can feel strong all the way round but if I try and go again the next day I'm mr.jelly-legs. Not sure if it's me or the cold or what. The times it has hapened are on night-time runs when it's below freezing.
Well Jason,

I added a bit of mileage per week not much more than 10% really, i have done some cross country races that increase stamina and that really helps build up your legs.

If i have done more than the 10% its because i feel i can do more, but i never speed up i just increase the mileage.

Why dont you give yourself a break the next day, how quick do you do your 3 or 4 miles ??

It happens to me i get really good days and really bad, but with my gradual increase in mileage i would say that even at 9.7 miles i feel i can go on for more. (but i dont overdo it and stop)

I find that 3 miles my legs are not properly warmed up, after three miles my legs are stronger.

I started running probably 3 months ago, but more seriously in past couple of months

Club helps loads, doing hill work and speed and relays help

I used to go gym before getting the courage to try road running, i had been going gym for year before pursuing running, there i used to do x trainer, rower, running machine and leg weights.

I now am getting quicker not much more but i am improving all the time, little steps are good for me. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Blimey!

Thanks for the breakdown Leece. That is very impressive. My 3 mile (5k) time is about 28 mins which I'm quite happy with. I think most of my problems stem from a lack of any structure to my training. I go out when I can rather than every other day, and often go off too quick and then struggle to get a pace back on track. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Sorry Garry...... back to you.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks guys

:)

Back to Garry (sorry)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts