Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got bad shin splints going up through early December until after one run I could barely put any weight on my right leg, my shin hurt so bad. I had a bad limp for a few weeks. Went to doc and they did the tuning fork test but it caused no pain, so no SFX. But I did not get an MRI or bone scan. I went to physical therapy through my holiday break (I’m a college student) and it helped a little, no limp anymore, but I am doubting that it’s not a stress reaction/fracture because I am still having pretty frequent pangs of pain in one specific area of my shin, that I can pinpoint to like an inch. And the PT could feel a divet in my bone in that one spot; hurts if I really dig in there.

Is this a stress fracture? Does it even matter since treatment is rest either way? It’s just that’s it’s been going on 7 weeks since the last time I ran and even though my “shin splints” are gone, I still have this one area on my leg that I feel frequently walking around or even sitting down.

Funny thing is, I’ll jog a couple steps here and there to catch a bus or something, and there’ll be no pain. But walking around still hurts.

Is this normal? Even if it were a SFX shouldn’t it be healing by now?

I was icing it frequently and doing exercises from physical therapy but I’ve stopped mostly because of fear of aggravating it with aggressive rehab. I’m not cross training as even the stationary bike and elliptical makes it hurt. And compression stockings help so I wear those frequently.

The other thing is, I’m an ROTC cadet, so I really need to get back to running as soon as possible.

What could this be??? Thanks for reading

·
Registered
482 Posts
I gave gas shin splints quite. Ad in the past, where it was painful to run or even touch the shins.

I got fitted at a running shop for more running shoes, but this didn’t really help. It took over a month of rest to clear up without any pain.

During that time I was doing strengthening exercises, and looking into running form.

I was a heel striker which sends all the shock waves up the keg when I was landing on the heel. I changed over time to a mid-foot strike and found that has worked for me, but it does take time to adjust the way you run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts