Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you lot could tell me what I am feeling just now, is it the start of Shin Spints or something else.

Went for a run last night, 8.3miles, and it was a really nice relaxed pace, took on some small inclines and came back to the club house in 1hour 13mins. Today I have a strange tingle feeling in my left left, its down the front of the lower half of my leg. Its not painful, I can walk on it with no problems and could happily do a run with it but Im a wee bit worried that if I do run on it then it might what ever it is worse.

Is this the start of shin splints?

If you need more details I will post more :)

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help at all? I plan on going out for a run tonight but I don't want to over do it if it is the start of Shin Splints :(

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
When I had trouble with my shin splints Owain,the pain wasn`t down the centre of the shin,but running down the inside of it.

Before I realised what it was I was still running onit because the pain was dissapearing after the 1st mile or so.

I didn`t know it at the time,but I was doing more damage every time I went out on it.

Don`t know if this gives you any clues to your problem.

Hopefully it`s just a niggle.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i sometimes get an ache around outside of my shin which wraps around to front (about where the muscle ends and the bony bit starts... i do tend to find that this only happens if i dont stretch my shins properly before setting off

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good point with the stretching Pete.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, to be honest my stretching tends to be a slow pace jog to warm up, never done anything more than that and touch wood its been fine.

hmm, its odd. The niggle is down the center of the shin but the front of my left leg, no pain at all at the back. Ive never had shin splints so just want to make sure this isnt the early signs....

Might have a night off from running and see how it is tomorrow since I have a speed session at the club.

Will look out for other posts, hopefully as you say dave its just a niggle.

O.

·
Registered
506 Posts
When I had trouble with my shin splints Owain,the pain wasn`t down the centre of the shin,but running down the inside of it.

Before I realised what it was I was still running onit because the pain was dissapearing after the 1st mile or so.

I didn`t know it at the time,but I was doing more damage every time I went out on it.

Don`t know if this gives you any clues to your problem.

Hopefully it`s just a niggle.

Dave.
Dave,
just out of interest, how did you solve the pain down the inside of your shin? One of the guys at the 5K trial that I do has the same thing for ages and was wondering what it was. I advised him to get a gait analysis as soon as he can. I had shin splints myself and found I was over-pronating and my pains were on the outside of the shin.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually get shin splints down the outside of my shins. Often I find regular daily stretching helps. I also find that doing extra warming up, especially on grass, helps the pain when I run.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the sounds of things what I have just now might just be a niggle. Will know more after my training tomorrow night! :)

Thanks for your comments!

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Dave,
just out of interest, how did you solve the pain down the inside of your shin? One of the guys at the 5K trial that I do has the same thing for ages and was wondering what it was. I advised him to get a gait analysis as soon as he can. I had shin splints myself and found I was over-pronating and my pains were on the outside of the shin.
Hi Rob.

I had my problems when I started running in normal trainers.(At that time I didn`t even know there were special running shoes and gait analysis.)

The shin splints were the reason I found this Forum.(Where did that 2 1/2 years go !!!)

New trainers and doing the stretches Beasty posted did the job for me.

Seems to me that you gave the guy the right advice Rob.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much O. When it starts becoming more of a discomfort and tender to touch then it's time to ease off. Yes we should always be careful but it seems with any increase in training there's likely to be some minor discomforts - all part of the adaptation process of course!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts