Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had or maybe still have IT band problems? I've been to a physoitherapist, I stretch regularly but still seem to be bugged by this problem.

Can anyone help?

Lizzie:(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Lizzie,
I suffered really bady with this last summer and it took 3 months for me to get it under some sort of control. Chiropractic treatment, stretching, icing and orthotics all helped me to keep it under control. I do still suffer with some tension in my left ITB but I stretch every day and I try to make sure I don't overtrain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT band

Hi Edwina,

That's what I thought, well I'm doing most of that I guess I'll have to be patient and drink more of my comfort zone (hot Chocolate - made with the real thing)

Lizzie

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hi Lizzie,
I suffered from this some years ago. It was really sore where the ITB crossed over the outside of my knee, where it had probably caused a painful inflamed bursa. My only treatment was STRETCHING, several times a day, trying to lengthen the ITB to the extent that it relieved the pressure on the outside of the knee. In a couple of weeks it was OK and I could run normally again.
I suppose you've got to look at the cause too. Badly worn shoes can cause it, especially if you're a supinator, or running on roads with a camber. I never did find out what caused mine!
Cheers!

PS. The classic ITB stretch is: Sitting on the floor, bend your injured leg and place the foot on the outer side of your other knee. Gently press your injured knee over the other leg with the opposite elbow. Hold for a count of six, relax, and repeat six times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the stretches Foxy. I'm a neutral foot and my trainers are new. Also i have had problems with pain at the knee, but this is at the hip which is a worry as usually injuries at the start of a muscle invariably take longer to heal.

Ten minute run today and it started to hurt. Trouble is I'm competing in a Triathlon at the weekend, luckily only a 5k run.

I will look at the Bowan Technique you mentioned Edward, thanks.

Liz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Lizzie,

I've been having the same ITB problems and have been treating it using a hand held massager. I use it every time I get home after a jog and it works wonders! The one I bought comes with its own dvd to show you how to treat specific problems with joints and ligaments etc, so it was really easy to use. Here's the link where I bought it if you want to find out more.

http://www.healththroughmassage.com

Best of luck!

Charlotte

·
Registered
119 Posts
As with most injuries, the cause of your ITB problem is likely to differ from others with the same problem. I'd advise seeing a physio because of this. For instance, when I started running I had ITB problems with both legs, I stretched regularly and messaged and did everything else, it wasn't till I saw the physio who suggested I changed the way I sat and with a few other exercises the problem was gone within a week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts