Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tight ITBs and I'm now getiing piriformis type pains in my left butt. Is it common for these two conditions to go hand in hand?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Itbs & Piriformis Syndrome

These two can be linked,i just wish you lived nearer the take care injury clinic in cumbria. has any one ever cheked your leg length it sounds to me there is a difference . if not get someone to do this, if there is moderate difference quater to half an inch or more this is likely to be causing your problems. specific stretches will work but if the broblem is biomechanical this needs sorting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes there does appear to be a length discrepency. I'm seeing a therapist and a podiatrist - I believe leg length discrepencies can be difficult to measure but both professionals believe there is asymetry. My yoga teacher as also noticed my asymetry when I'm doing the forward bend.

The piriformis pain doesn't appear when I'm moving around only when I'm sat or lying down. I've been using a golf ball today, which seemed to help and I've also been doing some sciatic stretches.

I feel a bit like an onion - we strip away one layer to discover another.

P.S I'm not exercisng at the moment been advised to take a 3 week break.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to see the sports therapist today and she is becoming concerned that as I'm still in pain that my symptoms may be due to a nerve irritation and not piriformis syndrome - what does that mean?

·
Registered
55 Posts
piriformis syndrome

The Sciatic nerve runs either under or through the piriformis & Gemelius muscles if these muscles have been damaged and are in a state of contracrion, when ever you climb stairs sit down it will hurt , stand still with both feet together keep one foot still and rotate the foot on the bad side outwards without turning the body, if there is exesive pain the sciatic nerve has been trapped and referal pains will manifest themselves in the big toe, on the medal insde of the heal, down the shin tibia, the hamstrings will feel tight, and you will get pain radiating on the inside of the back of the knee. this wiil effect the ITB if these are some of the symptoms or all try a remedial therapist. The other possibility is the sciatic nerve has been nipped between lumbar 4 & 5 then this is a job of a good osteopath, Your problem is definatly Biomechanical and the foot strike on your bad leg will be very imbalanced, you seem to be having a hard time of it. I PRAY YOU GET SORTED. all the best

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Albmaleaf I've tried turning my leg out but I have experienced no additional pain. I had some massage and ultrasound yesterday so I am a bit tender from the massage.

I haven't run for about 3 weeks (or any other exercie) I did a short run on Sunday. I got pains across my right knee which started to settle down towards the end of the run. I experienced no oher pains but when I sat down in the evening to watch TV I started to get the familiar tingly sensation in my back side that radiated down the back of my leg. I did get some relief from sitting on my hockey ball but in bed I was geeting shoorting pains up and down my left leg.

The only pain I notice when going up and down the stairs are my knees - I also overpronate on my right foot. Infact my right leg feels a little uncomfortable today.

I was thinking of getting a second opinion - I think the sports therapist I have been seeing has been a little overwhelmed but she has made me promise the next time I see my podiatrist to make him remeasure my legs.

Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not in as much pain as I was but symptoms are still persisting. I have another appoinment with the pod this week and I've asked him to remeasure my legs at my sports therapists request. He was a little bit disgruntled as he has already measured my legs.

If my muscle tightness along my left side isn't caused by a leg length difference - what else could cause it? Could it be something inthe hip/pelvic region?

I'm currently getting pins & needles in my backside and a prickling sensation down my leg when I sit down. The outside of my knee is a bit tender on both knees but more noticeable on the left.

I also notice a lot of tightness in my muscles on my left when I strech. Particularly the ITB strech and sciatic stretch.

When I run there are stretching sensations around my knees and my backside feels bruised. I've only for 15 mins so far on the grass. My left leg particularly aches afterwards especially around the hips and knees.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I haven't rung but I wanted to see someone but wasn't sure who that someone was. I went somewhere new today for a massage. They have an osteo and she had a quick look at me and asked some questions. Said that my pelvis was twisted and that it wasn't too serious and something that responds well to Bowen technique.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Piriformis & ITBS

Send a contact address it need not be yours were i cand send tou some Albmalleaf gel free of charge to se if it helps. one of the reasons for pelvic misalighnment is the hip rotators piriformis & Gemellus inferior & superior Ect are tight this usualy causes the quads, hamstrings abductors adductors lower leg muscles posterior & anterior on one side usualy the bad side to come out in sympathy and tighten up, the muscles in the back upper & lower can also be affected if you massage the Albmaleaf into these areas it has been tested and proved to help. hope this helps you

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you I've sent you a PM. I'm intrigued by the Bowen technique do you know much about it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
piriformis & ITBS

Type into Google Bowen tequnique i can explain what the tequnique involves but the explination on the web is better, ime not sure if its for you . The main thing to look for is if your therapist is activly involved in sport and if they run thats great. You need someone who can work with you and work on corective exercise and massage at the same time. you will recive the gel tommorow massage it in where it hurts and use in the morning and evening before and after your run. let me know how you get on

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks my pod runs and he is also a biomechanical expert and he is convinced that ITBS is the root of all my problems. He has set himself the challenge of fixing me and has asked me not to have any more massages as he thinks the prodding is aggrevating my ITB.

I read some of the stuff on the bowen site and I'm curious I'd like at least to give it a try and as its non-invasive it shouldn't undermine anything the pod is doing.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the gel I've been using it and I do find it soothing. I haven't done much running so some of my symptoms have started to settle down a little e.g. knees not a tender.

I went out for a run/walk today. I used the gel before I went out and when I got back. There was some pain in my right knee and my left hip but I still enjoyed my run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been having exactly the same problems as you have. My advice is if you do not seem to be getting any better change your Physio or Pod. I first went to a Sports Massage with a tight ITB this helped but only short term. Then went to a Physio, who didn't listen to what I was saying, told me my Achilles was about to explode and connected my buttocks to electrodes (I know some men pay good money for that ;-) ).

Finally went to the Sports Physio linked to Histon Football Club, discovered I had a short left leg and a rotated right pelvis. Two sessions of manipulation and i am running pain free for the first time in 12 months.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Itbs & Piriformis Syndrome

As Renedial & sports therapist It's important to listen to your client & work with them people come to our clinic having seen numerous people and 12 months down the line no improvement has been made. The problem when we have assessed it and worked with the client is usualy very simple and we have it sorted in weeks. The problem is i feel intead of being humble enough to listen to the client many proffesionals become so academic they miss the simple answers to the injury problems and go around in circles using all sort of fancy electrical didgets intead of using a more hands on approach, Don't get me wrong there is a place for the likes of ultrasound ect but when you use your hands you can do so much more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my experience, working on running technique is a really powerful way of getting over ITB related issues. Where the glutes and hamstrings are under-active, placing more strain on the ITB you can learn to run more efficiently, using the glutes and hamstrings.

This will reduce the tendancy for the ITB to tighten up as a compensation for weak/under-active glutes and hamstrings.

Kinetic Revolution have put together a Running Technique based program which guides you through drills and exercises to get the key muscle groups engaging as you run... reducing the risk of ITB tightness.

Kinetic Revolution - Six Week Running Technique Program

1 - 20 of 23 Posts