Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm new to the forums, I tried searching but didn't really get the answers I needed so I hope someone can help!

I found out I had ITBS about 4 monthes ago and went for treatment. They losened my ITB with massages etc. and gave me stretches and told me to have a month off, which I did. I started back running slowly, streching everyday, and built myself back up again and all felt fine. About 7 weeks or so into it I started to do boxing again (the reason i run). I done some sparring and my ITB swollen up again. A week later the swelling has more or less gone and I am able to run. My problem is running doesn't and has never seemed to bother my ITB but boxing/sparring always caused the problem. what am I supposed to do? I am going back to the injury clinic tommorow and they have told me they are going to give me some leg strengthening excersizes to do, will this help alot? They told me not to get dis-hearted but thats very hard!! Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum!

I read your post and thoughts of answers came to my head straight away, then it basically seems like you've answered them yourself anyway!

I think you problem comes from the fact that in boxing obviously your stance and movement is very different to that of running, i.e. stepping forwards, backwards and side to side (with a slightly angled stance too?) which puts far more strain on the illiotibial band than running does. I think the strengthening exercises will help you no end! Give it a few weeks and hopefully things should pick up for you :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts