Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently been struck down by ITBS for the first time in my running life.

Looking back at the last couple of months I've realised I've been making some basic mistakes: running the same direction on looped training runs, track running in one direction, and wearing trainers past their sell by date. So I'm in new trainers and mixing up the direction I do my runs and loops in.

But I've still got a bit of discomfort - Can anyone advise on a stretch or strengthening exercise I can do to help with this?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
LazyJones said:
Hi All,

I've recently been struck down by ITBS for the first time in my running life.

Looking back at the last couple of months I've realised I've been making some basic mistakes: running the same direction on looped training runs, track running in one direction, and wearing trainers past their sell by date. So I'm in new trainers and mixing up the direction I do my runs and loops in.

But I've still got a bit of discomfort - Can anyone advise on a stretch or strengthening exercise I can do to help with this?
Crikey I have never heard of that before what is it? I hope you are better soon.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I can't recommend a full course of stretches and rehab Lazyjones, but one stretch I tend to do is to lie on my back, legs out straight and toes pointing upwards... then raise left leg over to the right with toes pointing right, take it until you can feel comfortable resistance in the ITB, hold for a bit, then repeat lifting the right leg over to the left. Does the trick for me!

My apologies if the description isn't very accurate :huh:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Lazyjones I've suffered with this and it can get quite painful. There are loads of different stretches for it and its finding the best one for you.

This is my personal favourite and is also good for the piriformis (which sometimes goes hand in hand): http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

The classic ITB stretch isa standing stretch where you cross one leg behind the other and lean over to the opposite side pushing out your hip until you feel the stretch.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SE - I'll be doing this one and an ITB stretch from now on - finger-crossed I can still train for London....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Maybe introduce some cross trainings if ITBS gets really bad it can become quite debilitating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts