Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about how I've found it really difficult to run the past couple of weeks. Well, I went for what I thought would be a nice gentle 4 mile run tonight and felt like crap the whole way. I was feeling a bit breathless after 1.5 miles. I have never felt breathless from running, even when I'm doing 6.30 pace for a half marathon. I refused to give up and walk home, but it took me 30 minutes to complete 4 miserly miles and I was seriously sweating and knackered. I just don't understand what is wrong with my body. I don't feel ill or anything, although I haven't been sleeping that well. Anyway, i'm not running tomorrow, and just hope my long runs this weekend go a bit better.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
We all have days like this. If you keep going it will get easier.

If I can do it anyone can, believe me:) as I used to be so rubbish.

My longest run is 6 miles and tonight I've done 7.6 don't know how I did it as a big hill was included. Got a feeling my joints will be sore tomorrow :eek:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Is your body still not recovering from your recent 1/2?

You are not by any means a crap runner don't do yourself down.

:)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sometimes do you not think it can by psychological, our mind plays tricks on us as if it's saying I don't want you to run. That's what I find as when I'm nearly home I suddenly feel better.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twinkle toes said:
Is your body still not recovering from your recent 1/2?

You are not by any means a crap runner don't do yourself down.

:)

Well, I haven't been the same since I decided to really go for it in the half. I'm still doing my usual 25-35 miles a week, but it's just not as easy as it was before. Tonight was just weird, with the heavy breathing and feeling like my lungs weren't up to the job. Last time I felt that was 3 years ago when I was 5.5 stone heavier than I am now and really unfit. Anyway, it took me a few minutes to get my breathing back to normal, but I just didn't feel right. I haven't enjoyed a single run in the last 2 weeks. Usually, I have maybe one bad run a week, but I've never had so many continuously. Part of me wonders if I should just not run for a week, but the other half is wondering if I should force myself to do really long run this weekend but at a slow pace.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Personally I would rest or cut down your miles for the next couple of weeks, you stressed your body during the 1/2 and you are not really giving it a chance to recover.

There is no point going out and not enjoying your running that will only demoralise you a rest or less miles will only make you keen again.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Well you aint a [email protected] runner that's for sure... what time did you manage again eh??

I think one of the best things you could do, and it'd be a big bold move to make - is to take a whoel week off. Forget your long run this weekend, and crack on with your training again say middle of next week.

My head tells me you probably won't do something so drastic, and I'll hasten to add I'd probably be just the same if someone recommended it to me. But honestly, if you can bring yourself to do it, I'm sure you'll come back just as strong as you were pre-half marathon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How can you be a [email protected] runner?? alot of people on here, myself included, are well off the pace of 6.30 mins per mile for a HM, if your a [email protected] runner then it i'm sure whatever I am can't be uttered on this forum!

Just remember the things you've achieved when your feeling rubbish on a run.

J

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right. I was being a bit over critical with my crap runner statement. I know I'm not crap. It's just that I haven't found short runs a minute slower than my long run pace so difficult before. I was just gobsmacked today that a 4 mile run at my easy running pace could hurt so much. I think I do need to just take it easy for a week. Maybe this weekend I'll just go for a jog and purposely run at a really easy pace. I think the problem might be that I don't get enough variety in my running. I tend to run at a similar pace for all distances (4-13 miles), regardess of whether I'm trying to beat a PB or just going for my regular runs. All my runs tend to be between 6.30 - 7 min per mile pace. Maybe i need to start running some longer distances (14-18 miles maybe) at a much slower pace. Maybe 8min/mile? I think I've convinced myself that I always have to run at quite a fast pace, so when my body isn't up to it I freak out.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Blimmey! 6:30 min/miles! Thats good going! Variety is the spice of life, well, so they say :) Mix your runs up a bit, take on arthurs seat a couple of times a week, once going up the steep intense side which is over and done with in about 2 minutes and then the next time go up the long incline up the other side or head down to crammond park and run along the sea front, plenty of parking down there as well if you drive.
Then another time do some speed running round the meadows :)

Edinburgh has tons of places to run and like it has been suggested, don't worry if your times are slowing down, just enjoy the run and then before you know it, your times will increase again and you will be flying....who knows, you might even get a faster pace once your body has recovered!

O.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Absolutely agree with these guys. You might be coming down with a bug or something, or just feeling a bit off, either way a week's rest will sort you out I think :)

Gawd, wish I could do 6:30 miles... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Nobody becomes a crap runner over-night. Fact
I picked up on the original post which mentioned not sleeping well. Ironically, this is a classic sign of over-tiredness, or "staleness". You can either back-off more, or just suffer with it and carry on (like I've always done).
Sorry this was a bit rushed, but I've just made myself late for work............! :eek:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got up this morning with the intention of being sensible and following Richard's advice to take a few days off, but unsurprisingly I couldn't be sensible ;) Anyway, I set off with the intention of just jogging 6 miles, but I ended up running 9 miles. I didn't push myself at all and really just tried to take it easy and it was a very pleasant run. I didn't feel tired, the weather was nice and I pretty much felt I could have ran it again at the same pace. I really thought I was running slowly, but i took my stop watch and covered the first 10k in 42 minutes and the 9 miles in 62 minutes. Maybe 7min/mile just is my slow, easy pace :)

Anyway, I think i may know why I suddenly had a good run today after 2 weeks of feeling awful. Last night I went out for Indian with a bunch of friends and ate about 6 servings and loads of popadoms and naan bread washed down with a couple of beers. I then went home and got 9 hours sleep. I think this helped :) Anyone else think this might be it?

Well, my intention is to go out tomorrow and force myself just to jog a few miles, or 10 if the weather is nice :) Then I have 2 days rest as I have a work retreat to go to.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
One of the most popular bits of advice we tend to hear is: "Listen to your body..." But as I know from long experience, the "body" has a long history as being something of a liar.
As I've said before, most of us are physically capable of far more than we think we are... But too many of us are held back mentally by what we are told we are capable of...
... As runners, we have each to learn just how far we can push the boundaries of our abilities at any given time... and sometimes this may involve taking what may at times be considered to be risks. It can be a mistake to live within the limitations set out by other people. View attachment 427

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I had a similar problem a while back. For me it felt I was running on the wrong breath, it really affected my performance. He checked me over and said my diaphram was slightly twisted. After some kind of massage to the area I was right as rain.

Squint

1 - 16 of 16 Posts