Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just putting this out there, but I find that a bowl of pasta 1.5hrs before I run is like adding rockets to my runners. There is a massive difference in my energy levels and I can train for alot longer!

Does anyone else have a particular pre-Run food that they like to chow down on??:d

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run at 5.30. There is not a chance in hell I'm getting up at 4am to eat pasta. I'll end up asleep in a bowl with fusilli stuck to my face.

On a more serious note, what you're experiencing is the benefit of carbohydrates. Slow release energy that will let you keep pounding the road. Unfortunately the best I can get is a glass of water before I hit the streets.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I'm just putting this out there, but I find that a bowl of pasta 1.5hrs before I run is like adding rockets to my runners. There is a massive difference in my energy levels and I can train for alot longer!

Does anyone else have a particular pre-Run food that they like to chow down on??:d
Out of interest, once you are fueled up how long/far do you train for?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm just putting this out there, but I find that a bowl of pasta 1.5hrs before I run is LIKE ADDING ROCKETS TO MY RUNNERS. There is a massive difference in my energy levels and I can train for alot longer! Does anyone else have a particular pre-Run food that they like to chow down on??:d
When you say it's like adding rockets to your runners, does that mean you actually TRAIN athletes? Personally I just have my normal breakfast of muesli and banana with toast and marmalade to follow - and two or three cups of tea. I believe Paula has porridge before a big run.
Cheers!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just eat normally but usually supplement my diet with bananas on the day of my run if i'm working (wifey can't have bananas in the house!), or occasionally have some toast and peanut butter. At the weekend it's usually muesli with bananas. All good! :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm usually on a fairly empty stomach - sometimes a banana doesn't go amiss! I remember the best I'd ever felt once out on a run was a few hours after having a monster sunday roast!! I think it was all the mashed spuds and swedes and stuff. Be nice, wouldn't it, if we could replicate that tireless feeling on every run? :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nak'd raw food bars (88p from Tesco) are very good. I usually have half of one half an hour before going out.

Plus they have 2 portions of fruit per bar.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
The only time I have anything different to eat is if I'm racing - I'll have a banana and Red Bull about half an hour before the start (banana for energy during the race and the Red Bull to wake me up in the morning).

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
When you say it's like adding rockets to your runners, does that mean you actually TRAIN athletes? Personally I just have my normal breakfast of muesli and banana with toast and marmalade to follow - and two or three cups of tea. I believe Paula has porridge before a big run.
Cheers!
I'd imagine that as a lowercase "r" was used instead of an uppercase "R" that he is refering to his trainers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A typical days food intake for me is along the lines of porridge and a banana for brekie, tuna sarnie or pasta salad and a banana or kiwi fruit for lunch, another banana or chocie bar early eve followed by red bull and then run. Main meal about 30 -45 mins after my run ( thanks to the missus!)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
porridge is best if you have time

Flapjacks are good too.

:p

mmmmmmmmm bacon butty

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep it's just for me and not for anybody I'm training!:p

It could be anywhere from a 6 - 16 miles, but I do triathlon training as well and that can have me out for 4 hours if I'm doing a trial run of a race ie: doing the distances in all 3 sports together before race day.

In the morning I usually go for porridge or wheetabix - but if there's a race I'm afraid that yes... I do break out the pasta - The shame! (still though, can't help but love the results)

Lots of great ideas here! I wonder what the weirdest pre-race snack might be?

Richard - I'd like the english breakfast idea. We had a Birthday bash over the weekend and there was no better cure the next day then a grease choked breakfast roll - and a run of course...:d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
personally

Don't think you can take anything in isolation, if something always works for you over and over then great. Sunday night I did a run and I was flying (at 8pm). At 5pm I had a monster coffee, so big it had two sets of handles, and a chocolate cake. Other than that just a scrap of mashed potato the kids didn't eat. I still felt wired from the coffee after the kids were down so did the run, had not planned to, and ran 4.5 miles at 7:20 pace, quick for a training run or a race for me. Whether its down to the coffee we'll see, I'll do another test sometime. When I used to run in the past years ago I swore by millet. Not very tasty but good ballast, not unlike porridge I guess. Like previous poster my morning carbo load is a glass of water as I fit runs in before kids wake up, I feel significantly slower then compared to runs later in the day.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I seem to have begun to swear by robinson's fruit and barley before any run - not sure why!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I wonder what the weirdest pre-race snack might be?
Well - I too have aforementioned pasta the night before... and a coffee just before a morning race seems to perk me up..... but I have a lot of pick n mix the night before too :confused:. I have also had a bag of jelly babies and fruit pastilles.... I think its because a friend told me they were good fuel before he did a marathon, and I have recently been experimenting with parma violets and drumsticks!! :d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts