Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after riding my crappy, thick-tyred, heavy bike throughout summer, yesterday my Dad's old cycling buddy gave us a road bike for free. My Dad used to be a decent cyclist and he said it's very good quality, so I'll take his word for it. So I tested it out this morning. Oh my God, what a difference. The speeds that were hard to reach on my old bike are literally the cruising speeds on this one! Can't wait to bomb it home from uni next next time. :d I feel like I've been given a new toy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Enjoy! I used to do a lot of mountain biking and always fancied a road bike. Eventually bought a cheap one last year! And ended up doing trips of up to 80miles on. I'll likely treat myself to a better spec one in the summer now that I know i like it. Take it easy on the wet corners in the road. Road bikes go faster but also handle differently :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's great news - how nice of your dad's friend! I used to have a heavy road mountain bike - got a road bike this summer and it's so much easier. I just got winter tyres fitted on mine, so hopefully I'll be able to keep cycle-commuting through most of the winter (learned my lesson by wiping out last week on very wet roads ... :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nice one. I picked up an old road bike in the summer. Been commuting to work ever since. I love it. I still see it as a mode of transport, rather than recreation though.

Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
some one gave me a carrerra racer (Halfords specialty!) for nowt a few weeks ago cause the gears were knackered and he couldn't be bothered trying to fix it. got the parts of ebay cheap and its going a treat and so much lighter than the old mountain bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do a lot of riding on my off days. A great way to flush out the legs without beating them to death.
Congrats and enjoy.

Bill

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I do a lot of riding on my off days. A great way to flush out the legs without beating them to death.
Congrats and enjoy.

Bill
good point, flush out the legs but don't end up knackered with aches:tup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also, good to keep fit if u get a running injury. My sciatic nerve is playing up... So running isn't the best... But went out and did a very cold 16 miles on the bike today instead :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys, will definitely be careful. Yesterday I rode to the track and almost slipped taking a shortcut across muddy section of path. Definitely handles differently to my other bike. My Dad fell off his bike as well - black ice apparently! It was like 1 degree celsius and I forgot to wear thick gloves. BIG MISTAKE, I had to stop every few miles because I was getting frostbite lol.

Today I tested it more seriously by commuting to and from uni (2x10 miles). Wow, massive difference! On my crap bike I usually average about 14mph in good conditions, today I averaged 16.1mph in the rain and unfavourable wind and with dead legs from yesterday's intervals. Hopefully closer to 20mph if I was fresh and deliberately pushed hard, and not with my uni stuff. :D

The crazy thing is that when I got home, I decided to ride my crappy bike to the shop/pharmacy (because I don't care if that one gets robbed). It felt HORRIBLE, so heavy, slow and just completely wrong. It's like a monster truck compared to my new one. :p Seriously, I have no idea how I've even rode as much as I have with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts