Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had 3 days off work for my wife and my son's birthdays. Spent most of Wednesday driving to and from the coast (which is a hell of a long way as I'm in Birmingham) and so was too tired to run on Thursday morning. I missed Saturday morning's run because... well... err...I was... err... convinced to stay in bed :love:

The trouble is, I play football on Sundays and was on the receiving end of a rather nasty tackle. I wouldn't have minded but it was a training session, and so the tackle was not only from a team mate but also my brother :mad:. The ankle's a bit sore and I haven't tried to run on it yet but it feels like bruising rather than anything worse.

So what do I do? I am due to run a 5 mile tomorrow and am determined to do it. I'm so angry at myself for missing those 2 previous runs that I feel I should run extra during this week to make up. Last week I should have run a total of 15miles but ended up running 6. This week I should be running 17 miles - 5 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, 4 on Thursday and 6 on Saturday. Do I push myself to do more or just continue with my schedule as planned?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You should run twice the distance wearing ill fitting pants stuffed with itching powder you selfish swine. You should be ashamed skipping running for sex and birthdays :p

But seriously, just run as much as you can without aggravating the ankle injury and run the race, slowly if need be.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I can understand your frustration and anger completely... but honestly, as an outsider looking at the situation, there's no need to beat yourself up over missing those few runs - you won't have lost any fitness from it and the only thing you're going to do by pushing yourself to 'make up' for the lost mileage is increase your chance of injury, especially considering you're ankle is damaged from football!

Take a step back and think about what advice you'd give to someone else in your situation... I reckon that at most you'd say continue as planned and don't push yourself to do more, or you'd even posssibly say take the week easy and see how your ankle holds up before returning to your planned schedule ;)

Obviously you're keen and eager to improve, but in the grand scheme of things, what's a few days training eh??? ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Mr Simkiss speaks sense...

don't be a slave to your schedule...it's the easiest way to losing motivation

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If I have a night on the booze I always tend to be lighter the next day, I seem to wake up completely dehydrated and with a completely empty stomach :lol: 8lbs eh? How many Domino's Pizzas did you get through? :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hrun that is your punsihment ha ha

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
M4tty

Sorry to hear about your injury, I have read that you shouldn't chase miles and like the others have said don't be to hard on yourself, this running lark really does know how to muck with your Chi :d

Keep us posted on your progress.

TT

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd prefer to call it the 'Baldwin Diet' after my friend who convinces me to drink, lol. Sadly the weightloss is only temporary and all weight is restored (plus maybe a pound more) the following day :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts