Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 weeks of a run/walk plan, which I've really been sticking to from sheer bl**dy minded determination, I think I've finally had a glimpse of why people do this running thing for fun!

So far, every one of my training sessions has felt like a slog. I've been clock-watching, desperately hoping for the run bit to be over so that I can take a walk break. By the end of every training session, I've been shattered. But yesterday morning, I went out for a run (while on a weekend break, no less - exercising while on holiday - a real first for me :d ) and something clicked. I was actually enjoying the runs and, even though my walk breaks were down to 1 minute for the first time (they've been 2 mins since the 2nd week), I didn't feel like they needed to be any longer. By the end of the session, I was tired, but not shattered - I even started jogging back to the hotel after I'd finished (strange place meant I had to guesstimate my circuit a bit, so had about 3/4 of a mile to walk back at the end).

I think I finally get it. You're not actually all loons at all :rolleyes: This running lark can actually be fun :d

·
Registered
835 Posts
9 weeks through the winter too! Wait till the weather warms a bit, the incentive to get out there just gets better and better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just the inspiration I need

Thank you for posting that bagpuddycat, I needed to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel or a bit of enjoyment at least. Tomorrow I start week 4 and will hopefully be able to complete 5 mins non stop. Although after Sunday's effort I was ready to chuck it in. I've bought an IPod shuffle today and hopefully the music will spur me on tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean about the clock watching!!

Well done for keeping it up and I hope I'll be able to post something similar in 5 weeks time. :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
After 9 weeks of a run/walk plan, which I've really been sticking to from sheer bl**dy minded determination, I think I've finally had a glimpse of why people do this running thing for fun!

So far, every one of my training sessions has felt like a slog. I've been clock-watching, desperately hoping for the run bit to be over so that I can take a walk break. By the end of every training session, I've been shattered. But yesterday morning, I went out for a run (while on a weekend break, no less - exercising while on holiday - a real first for me :d ) and something clicked. I was actually enjoying the runs and, even though my walk breaks were down to 1 minute for the first time (they've been 2 mins since the 2nd week), I didn't feel like they needed to be any longer. By the end of the session, I was tired, but not shattered - I even started jogging back to the hotel after I'd finished (strange place meant I had to guesstimate my circuit a bit, so had about 3/4 of a mile to walk back at the end).

I think I finally get it. You're not actually all loons at all :rolleyes: This running lark can actually be fun :d
fun and running it's just a rumour spread around by some strange cult called runners!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats is inspiring, I have not clock watched at all as have enjoyed my walk/run program, but I do find it so hard. I find that i get very tired, and breathless, and I am not running too fast, It is more of a jog than a run. As I run first thing in the morning, and havent eaten I thought I would try in the afternoon on Sunday to see if it made any difference as I had had a meal a couple of hours earlier, but still didn't have much energy at all. Not sure where I am going wrong. I think your comment has given me some encouragement and I am hoping that once I get through the final two weeks of the programme that I can do a bit more

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Karen Edmunds said:
Thats is inspiring, I have not clock watched at all as have enjoyed my walk/run program, but I do find it so hard. I find that i get very tired, and breathless, and I am not running too fast, It is more of a jog than a run. As I run first thing in the morning, and havent eaten I thought I would try in the afternoon on Sunday to see if it made any difference as I had had a meal a couple of hours earlier, but still didn't have much energy at all. Not sure where I am going wrong. I think your comment has given me some encouragement and I am hoping that once I get through the final two weeks of the programme that I can do a bit more
Stick with it Karen when you run try to lift/ keep your head up ,ie try not to look down what this does is open up your airwayand generally raises your chest area (ahem) thus allowing a better more efficient breath cycle If you run head up it also gives you a psycological positive attitude liike a sort of YEAH C'MON I CAN DO THIS I FEEL GOOD,sort of air it is hard at this stage but it will get easier you've all done brilliantly to get to this stage keep it going were all in this together!!!

Cheriton

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Bagpuddycat

I love reading threads like this – it reminds me of the moment when running became fun (it happened to me about 10 months ago). The first few months are by far the hardest - stick with it and you’ll soon be in that surreal world where a 3 mile run is easy and you get really cranky if you can’t get your “fix” of exercise…

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Slowsteve said:
Hi Bagpuddycat

I love reading threads like this – it reminds me of the moment when running became fun (it happened to me about 10 months ago). The first few months are by far the hardest - stick with it and you’ll soon be in that surreal world where a 3 mile run is easy and you get really cranky if you can’t get your “fix” of exercise…
AMEN TO THAT!:)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, as if to remind me that life (and running) is not all roses, I've just had a miserable run in the gym and had to increase my last 2 walk breaks to 2 mins because I was exhausted. :mad:

Roll on the lighter evenings so that I can ditch the treadmill and get out in the fresh air for every run :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Does that include the first 7 months (the hardest) or am i doing too much :p

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
LEECE said:
Does that include the first 7 months (the hardest) or am i doing too much :p
come on know leece we don't want to let negative thoughts to enter our vocbulary!!

DON'T STOP NOW!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I wont stop just feel like i am going through negativity, just been diagnosed with cluster headaches which dont help how i am feeling.

:p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great to read your first post BPC, running is so enjoyable when you're able to get out and just do it... treadmills sadly don't offer quite the same level of enjoyment though!

Fret not... summer will soon be here :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
LEECE said:
I wont stop just feel like i am going through negativity, just been diagnosed with cluster headaches which dont help how i am feeling.

:p
wasn't having a dig lisa :embarrassed: do you think their anything to do with your hypothalmus they think it.s something to do with the nerves i think not nice what's the prognosis /best advice can you contact other sufferers exchange ideas . Hey i've just had an idea what about setting up a thing were lots of like minded people can air their vi......... doohh already been done:embarrassed:

I used to be :mad: but i'm alright know!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It comes to us all in the end BPC.

Welcome to the madness.................................:eek:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Madness? No, not me, I'm perfectly sane, me. And you can't be mad cos that would make me mad and that can't be right. So we must all be sane. It's the people who don't go out running before dawn on a freezing cold winter morning who are mad, right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts