Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had quite an interesting visit to the osteopath today. Discovered I've been running with my pelvis 'jammed' on the right hand side (I think it's technically the 'sacroiliac joint' but I'm no professional :p). It was most probably through a mountain biking accident I had about a year ago. Through a bit of manipulation, I had demonstrated to me the way my right hip provided virtually no 'swing' or 'give' compared to the left. It's been putting lots of pressure on my right ankle and knee, both of which have been trying to over-compensate.

I was 'crunched' in a few different directions, both around my lower back and neck; will be having two or three sessions in total. If anybody else has any inexplicable niggles I wouldn't rule out a consultation with an osteopath or chiropractor. It can be a bit pricey but basic health plans usually cover you. I was also told that a video gait analysis or biomechanical assessment might have picked up irregular movement and pointed me in the same direction.

Also found an interesting article on running technique and common causes of problems with running technique.

My last thread in injuries didn't seem to evoke much interest! :(( Hope the above might come in useful to somebody!

Anybody else seen an osteopath? I very much hope I wasn't being told what I wanted to hear so I'd spend my hard earned money; all the crunches in my back seemed to add substance to the theory anyway :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I went to see an Ostepath was suitably crunched and pounded, a while later went to a Chiropractor what a difference. The Osteopath was like a butcher compared to the surgeon like Chiroprator. The Chiroprator is more expensive but worth the extra I'd say.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always interesting, thanks. I will have a proper read later as I am interested in my own problems and possible reasons.
I guess if I want to spark conversation I should keep it short and snappy! :)

What's causing u probs?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to see an Ostepath was suitably crunched and pounded, a while later went to a Chiropractor what a difference. The Osteopath was like a butcher compared to the surgeon like Chiroprator. The Chiroprator is more expensive but worth the extra I'd say.
I think I know what you mean here. I saw a chiropractor first and it wasn't what I'd expected - no crunches accompanied by moans and groans! Yesterday was more along those lines - really satisfying in a way! But yea my body is in shock a little more ha ha!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess if I want to spark conversation I should keep it short and snappy! :)
Inane is usually quite effective :d

What's causing u probs?
I have had an ankle pain which stopped me on a run within a mile. For a week and a half now I have been recovering. For a week I couldn't walk on it properly.

I put the pain down to an incident on a cliff path a week before where I turned my ankle at the same point. It niggled but felt okayish until mile 8 of a run during the week when something snapped (I dont mean literally).

As a result I have been taking more interest in the biomechanics of how I run and strenghen to avoid a repeat.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a result I have been taking more interest in the biomechanics of how I run and strenghen to avoid a repeat.
Sounds pretty nasty mate... I never realised how complicated running was until a few knowledgeable types here threw terms like biomechanics and gait analysis into the mix! Definitely a good idea looking at your own unique style and see what you can do to help yourself recover... Good luck! :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Cant say I fully understand yet but there is interesting Reading to be had. When I got my first trainers I had no idea why one pair would be better than another.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have seen numerous osteopaths over the years with back and neck problems. All have been quite good and given temporary relief but it wasn't until I started running about two years ago that I decided to try something else as I was suffering with constant hip pain achilles tendon problems. I went to see someone who did remedial massage and she is brilliant. The pain I had constantly in my neck has virtually gone (other than when really tired or pulled out of place by some other part of my back that is causing problems). The hip pain also settled completely. I continue with the remedial massage regularly to keep things moving and, as a rule, have far fewer problems than ever before. It is clear that I will always have problems with my back and neck getting jammed up but also what has become clear is that it is mainly the muscles in my back causing the problems rather than something that needs to be crunched back in by an osteopath. Occasionally, I have still gone to an osteopath when done something really silly to my back but, it is only when I then - a few days later - go for a remedial massage that everything pops back into place and finally settles down. The majority of time it is just the massage that sorts me out, other times it is a combination of the two. I have also discovered that, rather than the running causing me problems with my back, it actually helps and (as long as I am careful - running on tracks and not pushing myself too hard) quite often can feel a lot easier than before I went out for a run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts