Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya ive decided im gonna lose weight this year and have been power walking for 5 weeks now last week i started a bit of jogging as well as thats what i really want to do but ive actually GAINED weight can any1 tell me why?. thanx:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could you provide us with a bit more information about your diet? How much do you currently weigh? How tall are you? Should help us answer your question...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everest2005 said:
Could you provide us with a bit more information about your diet? How much do you currently weigh? How tall are you? Should help us answer your question...
hiya i eat three meals a day though i must confess ive not long ago started eating breakfast as it makes me sick but i am eating it i eat fruit in between mainly tangerines i eat them till they come out my ears my portions are served on a small plate always have been as ive never been a big eater my height is 5ft 1 and my current weight is 11stone 6 the 6Llbs is what ive put on since starting power walking/jogging.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No magic recipes, only 2 possibilities :
- fat converting to muscle, and muscle behing heavier than fat, you put on weight. Has your body shape changed (ie is your body more toned?)
- you're taking on more calories than you burn through exercise. You're burning about 100 calories per mile you walk/run. If you increase your normal food consumption by more than that, you put on fat.

For info there are about 40 calories in 1 tangerine. That's just under a 1/2 mile run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx greg i thought i was being healthy eating all those tangerines ive not noticed a change in body size though after 6 weeks i thought i might have, im really begining to get less enthusiastic now as i personally feel im healthier now than ive ever been but im not showing the results of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't be despondent. the key phrase in your post is "i feel i'm healthier than i've ever been". that is the main thing
losing weight is simple. as greg says take in less calories than you burn off. the question is how best to do this.
3 years ago i had a bad knee injury, the result of which was my weight went up to 14 stone 5 lbs. i still ate and drank like a 40 mile a week runner. my knee problems were diagnosed and i was put on a series of exercises. in 3 months i lost a stone, mainly through diet regulation, with an increased physical exercise but no runs of greater than 3 miles. within a year i was down to 12 st 2, but this was mainly due to increasing the exercise through further running of up to 40 miles a week.
my basic principles were
1. weigh yourself each week in the same conditions. don't try to cheat early on by not eating or drinking before weighing.
2. be disciplined in your eating. eat 3 meals a day, making sure that you have a good breakfast. i would eat a large bowl of meusli with natural yogurt and it set me up for the day. don't eat anything between meals if you can help it. if you feel hungry drink some water, often your brain confuses thirst and hunger. if that doesn't satisfy eat some fruit.
cut out non-essential eating and drinking - i gave up rubbish non-filling foods like crisps and sweets, although i would very occasionally have a bit of chocolate as a treat, and i stopped drinking at home. i would still go out but found that as i was losing the weight i would moderate my drinking to about a half of its normal amount. try to drink 5 or so litres of water a day - tap water stored in the fridge tastes as good as any bottled.
3. increase your general exercise routine by making changes to your habits. take the stairs not the lift, walk or cycle short distances rather than taking the car. exercise whilst doing other things: i have an old rowing machine that i would use whilst watching tv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx chrisity,
im working on the calories as we speak though gregs revelation about tangerines having calories in them shocked me as i though you could eat all fruit except bananas in abundance, so im on the net now trying to find some sort of calorie list, i'll do what you suggested and let you know how i get on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts