Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking at the Scottish Athletics website and noticed there is a 1/2 marathon in October in Jedburgh, could be tempted to head down for that.
I was going to run the Glasgow 1/2 Marathon but Im away that weekend in France :)

Anyone else fancy a trip to Jedburgh?

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, I am going to do the Jed half marathon. I hear its quite a hilly course, but quite scenic, being down in the borders.

I am hoping to go sub 1hr30.

I was disappointed to miss Dundee but I have had a lot on lately, moving house and work commitments, etc. I havent been running for weeks though and am feeling porky and sluggish!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be well ahead of me then with that sort of time :)

Ive just had a week off from running and Im missing it bad! Will try and get swimming or something next week to help me keep my fitness up without the hard impact of running.

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats me entered.

Kind of been lazy recently, though, so will have to up the mileage in the next few weeks and hope my legs hold up!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
DO IT DO IT, it's calling your name give in to the devil inside and enter :lol:

Good Luck Streako

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, cheers TT! It would be my 4th 1/2 Marathon in less than a year of running, it would be good to say I did it but it all depends on other commitments.

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
A few folk in my club have run the Jedburgh Half. I would be tempted to do it myself, but don't fancy the four hour round trip.

I'm doing the Buchlyvie Half in November instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If anyone wants to enter this, I will be driving down from Edinburgh so can offer a lift to one or more, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still tempted by Jedburgh but just not sure about the travelling either.......plus havent done much training for the full half and I would like to either beat my PB or at least stay near it! :) I don't want to go over 2 hours!

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yesterday didnt go to plan!

I made the mistake of eating too much in the morning, and got a stitch 10 minutes in. That was a bit annoying, but otherwise, I was running quite well up to about 6 miles in, and was on track for a sub 1.30 finish.

After the halfway point I could feel my hamstrings starting to tighten up, and by ten miles I was really struggling to keep any sort of pace and length of stride. Add to that a recurrence of my shin problem, which meant every other step was very uncomfortable, and by the final stretch I was jogging just above walking speed!

At 13 miles there was a "400m to go" sign, and I thought I could have a bit of last ditch sprint for the line.....Not a bit of it. I sprinted 100 yards and had to slow right down.

I finally crossed the line in 1hr41.30 secs.

I am disappointed as I believe I can go sub 1hr 30 (I ran 1hr30.41 secs at Dunfermline).
My preperation just wasnt up to scratch. I had been eating crap, I was hungover on Wednesday, I hadnt been running for 1.5 weeks because my shin had started aching a wee bit, my trainers need replacing, etc, etc.......

The course was a bit of a killer too, with short, steep climbs, and a long road section right into a nasty headwind.

Ah, well, a week or twos rest and then back to training.

Nick.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey that is some race report, I would love to get a time like that.

I was on for a pb last sunday but a stitch stuffed me up it is so frustrating plus I had had a cold too. Some races are just not meant to be :confused:

Well done even if it wasn't the time you wanted.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Lol... ignore my post in the other thread then... sorry to hear things didn't goto plan for you!

The good thing is, you KNOW what caused you to struggle - a combination of the course, kit, and preparation. And to me that's a million times better than thinking "I gave it my all and I just don't know what happened!". Also your determination to keep going says a lot. Well done.

Get yourself entered into another half for asap after you've recovered and I'm sure you can manage the 1:30:00.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good effort! Totally forgot that race was on at the weekend :) Shame you didnt get sub 1:30 but Im sure you will manage it the next time over that distance!

O.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts