Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know jogging on the spot doesn't even begin to compare to running along in terms of intensity (I can tell this by the fact I can jog for many minutes on the spot, whereas running for just one minute is very hard work!).

In terms of helping to bridge the gap between not running and running, can anyone perceive any specific benefit to jogging on the spot for a while, besides warming up? Does it improve the preparation of joints or anything?

Would anyone specifically warn against jogging on the spot for any length of time for any reason? Ankles?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
on a more serious note... whilst running on the spot might get your heart rate up a bit, and hence help cardiovascular stuff.
i dont think you usually make the same impact as running so may not help improve joint/tendon strength etc.

was wondering about skipping but maybe thats just the way i do it :)

plus the scenery gets a bit boring in the one place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ed_m said:
on a more serious note... whilst running on the spot might get your heart rate up a bit, and hence help cardiovascular stuff.
i dont think you usually make the same impact as running so may not help improve joint/tendon strength etc.

was wondering about skipping but maybe thats just the way i do it :)

plus the scenery gets a bit boring in the one place.
depends what's on telly :p :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have read that skipping for 10 mins is the equivelant to a hard 45 min run?

Also you need cross trainer shoes?

What do you think...

TT

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
twinkle toes said:
I have read that skipping for 10 mins is the equivelant to a hard 45 min run?

Also you need cross trainer shoes?

What do you think...

TT

That doesn't sound right to me, you're using a whole load of different muscles on a hard 45 minute run for a start. I guess it depends how fast you skip too, but that's a big time difference for it to be equivelant exercise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts