Runners Forum banner

Joining a club

2K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
I have been to my first club night and I can seriously recommend it to anyone. I have been strugling to get out the door but I really enjoyed myself tonight. The support was brilliant and it didn't matter that I was at the back there was always someone with plenty of encouragement

#2 ·
I don't want to say I told you so...... but I told you so!

Not you personally mickeygee....as you'll see on previous threads I've been advising this constantly and it's good to see you've taken the plunge! Good on yer!

#3 ·
To be honest I have a choice of clubs in my area but I went to the furthest one. This is firstly because it is the one my Sister in Law runs with and secondly they had a beginers night and they are great for new runners. The other clubs in my area are much more serious and to be honest I don't want to run with a club who's members instist on running on the wrong side of one of the most dangerous roads in our area and don't use the underpasses which were built so you don't have to cross that road. Personnaly if I could drive around without using the road I would, it's that bad. Sorry for babbling on!!

Anyway, I have a quick question. On Tuesday we ran about 5k and I was fine that night at work but now I am suffering with weak achy and stiff legs. Could this be due to not streaching enough after my run?? My job involves a lot of bending and picking up from the floor which I have found hard to do. Should I streach more or should I do a longer cool down??

#4 ·
That's just the sort of club most of us need for support and company.

Stretching/cool down may have been the problem but it may also have been that you ran a bit quicker than you normally do as you were doing the club run.

#5 ·
Second club night come and gone. Us begginners were pushed a little harder during our fartlek training but we all throughly enjoyed it. Im glad to say Steve that my muscles are much better this time with no horrible after effects. I believe this was due to taking a little longer over the cool down as we definalty worked a lot harder, thanks for the advice. Here's to next week on the track as the old hands are off on an away day and doing probebly over 5 miles.

#6 ·
Second club night come and gone. Us begginners were pushed a little harder during our fartlek training but we all throughly enjoyed it. Im glad to say Steve that my muscles are much better this time with no horrible after effects. I believe this was due to taking a little longer over the cool down as we definalty worked a lot harder, thanks for the advice. Here's to next week on the track as the old hands are off on an away day and doing probebly over 5 miles.

#8 ·
No the club meets on a Tuesday and Thursday but its a 20 minue drive away. There are closer clubs but they are way too serious for me at this stage. My Sister-in-law invited me to their new/beginners day and I seem to get on well with everyone. So as long as I go out at least twice a week and run with the club, I think I will do OK.

#14 ·
Yep, inclines in 3 weeks. I have been up there before and got knackered very quickly. I don't know the 10 route but I would like try to marshall at that one, never done that before. I was talking to my Brother earlier today and he is really pushing me to get out there and get the miles in. Isn't it amazing how when your kids you can argue and bicker and fight but when you grow up and are going through some really hard times your sibling is there for you with the encouragement to keep you going. Sorry getting a little soppy here, have had a few problems today and was too depressed to get out the door but I have all my kit out ready for tomorrow morning, a run round Henlow and the village I think, plenty of fresh air and fields, well the bypass anyway. Sorry for going on there, hope you are all OK.

#15 ·
mickygee said:
Yep, inclines in 3 weeks. I have been up there before and got knackered very quickly. I don't know the 10 route but I would like try to marshall at that one, never done that before. I was talking to my Brother earlier today and he is really pushing me to get out there and get the miles in. Isn't it amazing how when your kids you can argue and bicker and fight but when you grow up and are going through some really hard times your sibling is there for you with the encouragement to keep you going. Sorry getting a little soppy here, have had a few problems today and was too depressed to get out the door but I have all my kit out ready for tomorrow morning, a run round Henlow and the village I think, plenty of fresh air and fields, well the bypass anyway. Sorry for going on there, hope you are all OK.

Hope you got out there today like you promised, running can really lift your spirits so even when you feel really crappy try and get out you will feel better for it :d I know what you mean about your siblings I am always asking my Sister how she is getting on and if she has managed to fit any runs in and always tell her how well she is doing, even when she thinks her run hasn't gone well, it's the fact she got out there done it and got the miles in her legs. Keep going....

#18 ·
mickygee said:
Third club night and the hardest yet. Just over 5 miles, longest I've ever done, in just under 57 minutes. I've been told I have no more excuses not to go out on my own. O and I feel GREAT................................................

I felt quite daunted the first time I went out on my own having always been used to running with my partner, it was all going really well until I fell over with half a mile to go I managed to clobber my head, knee and obviously my hands it was more the humiliation of it that shocked me more, thank goodness it was dark I laugh at it now in fact by the time I got home I was laughing, but pleased don't let this put you off I can be a bit clumsy, but the good thing with running on your own your confidence grows, so go for it and don't be scared :eek: :eek:

#19 ·
twinkle toes said:
I felt quite daunted the first time I went out on my own having always been used to running with my partner, it was all going really well until I fell over with half a mile to go I managed to clobber my head, knee and obviously my hands it was more the humiliation of it that shocked me more, thank goodness it was dark I laugh at it now in fact by the time I got home I was laughing, but pleased don't let this put you off I can be a bit clumsy, but the good thing with running on your own your confidence grows, so go for it and don't be scared :eek: :eek:
Obviously running in those wellies doesn't help!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.