Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much junk do you eat, and do you think it's still 'bad' for you if you burn a good proportion of it off, as I'm assuming most of us do. Whilst at work I tend to eat oat cereal bars and something like houmous and ryvita as I don't like the feeling of beeing stuffed at work - sort of healthy-ish. But most evenings in the week I eat a huge pasta dish made with sprinkly cheese on the top and garlic bread, or lasagne with chips or a chilli and rice dish with yet more garlic bread. And I usually hoover up whatever scraps the kids leave on their plates like fish figers etc. Every Friday ends with a mountain of chips and bread and butter and Saturday is usually pizza, kebab or takeaway curry night. then we're back to Sunday and it's back to chilli or pasta again. I normally get through half a litre of extra virgin olive oil every week without fail and get through 4 garlic bulbs a week. I also like a few cans of beer or bottle of plonk every other night. Healthy me, eh? lol. Despite this, my doc says my cholestorol is almost zero! I'm just starving all the time. Do you people eat healthy as part of your training? I was almost 15st when I took up running, unsurprisingly, but I shed 3st and have stayed like this since, despite the intake of supposedly 'bad' food.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I eat fairly healthily, most of my main meals are fairly good in terms of fat, vitamins, calories etc... my downfall is my sweet tooth, and the deli down the road from my house, stacked with delicious cakes :embarrassed: which keeps me at just under 11st (I'm short at 5' 5'') despite running 40-50 mpw.

I don't feel bad for what I eat, I enjoy eating well, but I probably would do if I was not doing as much exercise. I'm actually thinking I might crack down on the sugar and try to lose a few pounds after my next marathon

Running is supposed to be great at eliminating cholesterol. If you find you can eat all that food without weight gain, and feel hungry all the time, then it could be you have a naturally fast metabolism. Or you could try eating protein instead of carbs or sugar when you are hungry; this makes you feel full for longer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad, bad downfall before I started running was cheeeeeese!! I used to stand at the fridge and hack half a block off waiting for the kettle to boil. i do try to avoid eating so much cheese nowadays. I wouldn't worry about eating them cakes from the deli judging by your weekly mileage! I think you obviously earn them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I eat rubbish most of the time, it's all my own fault... just bought a house with the young lady :) so hopefully regular shopping trips and a secure base will make eating and planning and lunch at work much easier - in a shared house it's hard to buy food as it invariably gets consumed by others :(

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
luthor1 said:
I eat rubbish most of the time, it's all my own fault... just bought a house with the young lady :) so hopefully regular shopping trips and a secure base will make eating and planning and lunch at work much easier - in a shared house it's hard to buy food as it invariably gets consumed by others :(
I eat mostly crap all day, really trying to hard to turn this around, anything from Penguin bars and waffles for breakfast, at least a couple of bars of chocolate + crisps during the day. Luckily Mrs G normally produces a good tea and then I snack on more chocolate + crisps (ocasionally Cider as well)

Changing this pattern is harder than giving up smoking in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Rob said:
How much junk do you eat, and do you think it's still 'bad' for you if you burn a good proportion of it off, as I'm assuming most of us do. Whilst at work I tend to eat oat cereal bars and something like houmous and ryvita as I don't like the feeling of beeing stuffed at work - sort of healthy-ish. But most evenings in the week I eat a huge pasta dish made with sprinkly cheese on the top and garlic bread, or lasagne with chips or a chilli and rice dish with yet more garlic bread. And I usually hoover up whatever scraps the kids leave on their plates like fish figers etc. Every Friday ends with a mountain of chips and bread and butter and Saturday is usually pizza, kebab or takeaway curry night. then we're back to Sunday and it's back to chilli or pasta again. I normally get through half a litre of extra virgin olive oil every week without fail and get through 4 garlic bulbs a week. I also like a few cans of beer or bottle of plonk every other night. Healthy me, eh? lol. Despite this, my doc says my cholestorol is almost zero! I'm just starving all the time. Do you people eat healthy as part of your training? I was almost 15st when I took up running, unsurprisingly, but I shed 3st and have stayed like this since, despite the intake of supposedly 'bad' food.

Hi Rob have you thought of trying protein supplement during the day when your hungry. This will take the edge of your hunger but be nutrionally good for you. You may find you snack less on the junk as much only a thought Hayley

·
Registered
159 Posts
Blimey! I feel good about myself now. I eat cold meat, usually ham or chicken and loads of salad and fruit and veg. Baked fish and steamed veg in the eves and either porridge or bananas in the mornings. My downfalls though are beer and jelly sweets. Anything by Haribo.:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think anyone who runs regularly should worry too much about what they eat. A balanced diet is the trick, however, a binge from time to time ain't going to do you too much harm

Flakey

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I dont eat any junk food at all, oh must mention all the jelly sweets though.
But iv found even though im not eating any more than normal which isnt a huge amount daily at all, iv gone from 7 1/2 stone to 8 stone since christmas really when iv been running more. Now can anyone explain that one?:confused:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Oh well that must explain it then, still not convinced.
Oh i thought i see you on the front this months edition of muscle and fitness steve!!!:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
hayley1977 said:
Oh well that must explain it then, still not convinced.
Oh i thought i see you on the front this months edition of muscle and fitness steve!!!:d

Actually, Steve is right. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so don't worry about it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts