Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise I haven't been on very much over the last month, but I still feel you all deserve a BIG thank you... you may not have thought but being on here really motivated me, and hearing your stories and your advice helped too to get me through training when I felt like I needed more hours in the days! ANYHOO, my deadline is on wednesday for all my work so I should be back soon for some banter... in the mean time though I just thought I'd let you know how things went at the ol' sheffield half.

Well... the weather couldn't of been better, twas cool, but not cold, couldy, no wind and spitting ever so slightly... the course itself was alright, and I didn't die at any point. In fact I felt really good the whole way round, feel fine now bar a sore toe nail (note to self for next time, cut toe nails!!!)... and finished in 1:52:00!!! Bloody amazing considering I was aiming for 2 hours! I got to the half way mark and it'd taken me an hour to get there... so I pulled off a good negative split heh, although that was a teeny bit tougher than I thought it was gunna be cuz I thought the second half was like downhill... and it wasn't really... yeah... it was goooooooooooooood. And I have a medal and stuff so YAY! I'd say that's a PB but I've never done a half before... but now the bar is set for the Malvern Half in June... eeek!

So again, thank you guys and I'll be back on Thursday :d:d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol Dimple, I'm still up despite having yet another early morning tomorrow heh...

Thank you guys so much, it's only just hitting me now what I've done... I know a lot of you do waaaay faster times than mine but... I just feel incredibly chuffed it's not funny... I feel like crying now. I mean... 8:33 min miles average seems almost insane to me - that's the kinda thing I was doing in tempo runs over 8 miles... I did a half marathon in that... WOOOOOOO... I can't believe it, and I don't even feel like dying at the moment... training definitely paid off big time... given that when I entered last August my target time was originally 2 hours 20 based on a 1hr 10 10k... it's... insane... and given that like 3/4 years ago I was clinically obese and... lazy as... it's just... *sigh* words cannot even begin to describe how awesome I feel at the moment... *is crying now* ahhh I'm being a big girl... but yeah... I just hope that some of the beginners out there can take inspiration from this and if they're thinking it's tough and thinking about giving up - don't... really... this feeling is just the best, on a par with when I got my degree results heh.

Bring on the marathon!!! :d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Awesome!

Glad you had such a good race. You've worked hard for it, I'm pleased you got a good time :) You've come a long way!

Picked a marathon yet?? ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
Lol Dimple, I'm still up despite having yet another early morning tomorrow heh...

Thank you guys so much, it's only just hitting me now what I've done... I know a lot of you do waaaay faster times than mine but... I just feel incredibly chuffed it's not funny... I feel like crying now. I mean... 8:33 min miles average seems almost insane to me - that's the kinda thing I was doing in tempo runs over 8 miles... I did a half marathon in that... WOOOOOOO... I can't believe it, and I don't even feel like dying at the moment... training definitely paid off big time... given that when I entered last August my target time was originally 2 hours 20 based on a 1hr 10 10k... it's... insane... and given that like 3/4 years ago I was clinically obese and... lazy as... it's just... *sigh* words cannot even begin to describe how awesome I feel at the moment... *is crying now* ahhh I'm being a big girl... but yeah... I just hope that some of the beginners out there can take inspiration from this and if they're thinking it's tough and thinking about giving up - don't... really... this feeling is just the best, on a par with when I got my degree results heh.

You nearly had me crying into my breakfast. View attachment 430
I know exactly how you were/are feeling, ANS. I can think of no better sensations than those experienced as a result of having a great race; and the realization that all your hard work has paid off. :d

·
Registered
634 Posts
Great result ANS and a great post. Inspirational.

That muppet (Heckler's "friend") who cheated in the FLM should be made to read your post. The reason most people enter these events is for the sense of achievement you get when you finish - it makes all worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:

Fantastic a-n-s.

A great post to bring up your 500.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOOOP! *celebrates*

And to add to the celebration, I've actually finished my report :d Just have to stick in some figures, so y'all can enjoy my company sooner than you thought :p

Just trying to work out my new training plan now tee hee... *is the best procrastinator on the planet* Tried using the smart coach thing but it didn't look any good, so I'm going to invent my own! I was wondering what I should be doing this week in terms of recovery though? My left hip is a bit achey as per usual but otherwise nowt a lil yoga can't sort out. Twas thinking an easy 3 miler tomorrow afternoon should just about do it... and then another on friday morning followed by nowt til training starts again on monday, which will most like be an easy run.

I'm thinking Paris marathon would be a good one, but I quite fancy the Amsterdam one also... Hrmmm, some further thought is required me thinks!

Plus, FLM cheat is an idiot... totally losing out...
...I'm STILL SOOOO happy :d:d:d:d It's funny because I'd almost covered the distance and stuff I didn't think it'd be such a big deal, but yeah... I didn't actually think I'd get under 2 hours, my how I under-estimated myself!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I too have looked at the Smartcoach thing, and to be honest it all looks a little poor - I choose the 'VERY HARD' training level, and my longest run is 14mi (two of) and I only do one speed/strength session a week? Most of the runs are short easy runs around a minute and a half off my goal HM pace! Leaves a lot to be desired methinks! and I dread to think what it'd suggest if I wanted to do the 'maintenance' program :huh:

Guessing you found the same ANS? Congrats on finishing the report too - you must be a geek, you've a full two nights left!! :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Fantastic result ANS :d you will be talking about this for weeks, the feeling stays for quite sometime.

TT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts