Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I'm knackered. Feel like a full time smoker, wheezing like my Grandad used to, bless him! Only stopped twice, one lap around the park, took 20 mins. Quite please that i only stopped twice. Don't think I'll stop next time :d

I've got plenty of time on my hands, so I hope I keep this up. Anybody got any good tips to help me with my motivation? Apart from the fact that I need to lose a stone or two :embarrassed:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't worry about stopping, must beginner prog's start with a run/walk format. You run for a few mins. then walk for a few mins. slowly building more running time and less walking. Search the site for a beginners prog. or ask for help.

Motivation - Do all you can to enjoy your new hobby, read items on this site as much as possible, read books or mags on running and trainning. Get yourself a mp3 player to listen to your favourite music while running.
Also get a pair of running shoes, read threads on this site about importance of the correct shoes.

Enjoy your running and keep it going, it will work. I have lost 3 stone and stopped smoking in 18 months.

Good luck !

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Don't try to run too fast too quick otherwise you increase the risk of getting injured. I started with a run/walk programme and they are really effective. You will need to build your endurance first before worrying about your speed. Try to run at apace where you can hold a conversation with someone, which you may find is barely faster than walking pace.

As Dale said your shoes are probably the most important part of your kit so make sure you have the rights shoes for your gait. I was running in neutral shoes and discovered I overpronated on my right foot and now I'm suffering.

You may wan to think about joining a running club as well - they cater for runners of all abilities.

Welcombe to the club - you've done the hardest bit which is getting out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dale the Snail said:
Don't worry about stopping, must beginner prog's start with a run/walk format. You run for a few mins. then walk for a few mins. slowly building more running time and less walking. Search the site for a beginners prog. or ask for help.

Motivation - Do all you can to enjoy your new hobby, read items on this site as much as possible, read books or mags on running and trainning. Get yourself a mp3 player to listen to your favourite music while running.
Also get a pair of running shoes, read threads on this site about importance of the correct shoes.

Enjoy your running and keep it going, it will work. I have lost 3 stone and stopped smoking in 18 months.

Good luck !
Thanks Dale! 3 stone in 18 months, and stopped smoking :cool: Do you run inside or outside? Although I think it would help (I love my tunes, ex DJ), I'd be a bit worried running outside with an mp3 player. I like to be aware of what's going on around me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steady Edwina said:
Don't try to run too fast too quick otherwise you increase the risk of getting injured. I started with a run/walk programme and they are really effective. You will need to build your endurance first before worrying about your speed. Try to run at apace where you can hold a conversation with someone, which you may find is barely faster than walking pace.

As Dale said your shoes are probably the most important part of your kit so make sure you have the rights shoes for your gait. I was running in neutral shoes and discovered I overpronated on my right foot and now I'm suffering.

You may wan to think about joining a running club as well - they cater for runners of all abilities.

Welcombe to the club - you've done the hardest bit which is getting out there.
Thanks for the advice Edwina, I did notice that I was running quickly yesterday, and I was soon out of breath. I feel more comfortable running with a bit of pace though. I feel good that I've took the first step, and I'm looking forward to getting out again tomorrow :d

I'm not sure what you mean by neutral/overpronate, etc. I know that I tend to wear the outside of my shoes down first, so I bought a pair of Asics with extra support in that area. Maybe there's a difference in my gait, when I'm running though. Hmmm. I'll just stick with these for now as they feel ok, and I'll get some advice next time I buy a pair of shoes.

I'm going to keep an eye on the forum, there seems to be a lot of great info here...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ok overpronation is when your foot rolls inwards. During the run gait cyle your foot hits the floor and rolls inwards then rolls back outwards but in about 70% of the population it doesn't roll back out fully and this can cause you problems with your knees, hips etc.

A neutral shoe is desingned for someone who doesn't overpronate i.e. their foot doesn't roll inwards excessively so there is no arch support to control the motion. Neutral shoes tend to be very cushioned and soft.

Running in the wrong shoe can be a big deal so its worth getting it checked out but if you follow a run/walk programme the risk is less and it gives you at least a chance of seeing if you like running first.

A wet foot test can give an indication of what type of shoe is best but its not definitive. There are three trypes of shoe:
*neutral or cushioned shoe - best for people with a high arch and people who don't pronate
*stability shoe - best for people with a normal arch and have a tendency for slight to moderate overpronation
*motion control shoe - for people with severe overpronation and very flat feet

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do run on a treadmill at the gym on occasion, but much prefer the great outdoors. If using a mp3 while running on the streets you much be careful. I go for running in the local park.
If doing an early morning session, don't sing to yourself as someone is always around the corner, a mistake I make regularly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dale the Snail said:
I do run on a treadmill at the gym on occasion, but much prefer the great outdoors. If using a mp3 while running on the streets you much be careful. I go for running in the local park.
If doing an early morning session, don't sing to yourself as someone is always around the corner, a mistake I make regularly.

:d :d :d Thanks for the tip! I'll avoid that one like the plague :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts