Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until now i've been trying those small oats packet things with different flavours - but ive just made my first proper oat breakfast, scottish oats and some raisins (recommended by Richard I think). I added a bit of jam at the end, and apart from the bit of mess created in the microwave it was great.

I think Im going to get addicted!! Hopefully these will fill me up and give me more energy for future runs/cycles.

What else is a healthy option to put in too? Honey?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Yea, I've tried honey. I think I prefer that to raisins. The only thing is, sometimes I get up and I just dont feel like porridge and I end up having muesli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I have mine with sultanas, a banana and a mix of seeds altogether. The banana "melts" and makes it very sweet. Yummy. Sometimes I make it and leave it for a few hours as I love it cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Tortoise said:
I have mine with sultanas, a banana and a mix of seeds altogether. The banana "melts" and makes it very sweet. Yummy. Sometimes I make it and leave it for a few hours as I love it cold.
Ooh that sounds a good idea. I use to put sugar or golden syrup on mine and decided that wasn't very healthy so recently been using powdered sweetener. I'd rather use a natural sweetener so I'm going to give the banana a try.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Hi all

I have porridge most morning but skipped it today and had toast instead but mid morning I was starving and had to have my lunch banana. When I have porridge I never feel hungry.

Good stuff!

Cheers

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Ive had oats for breakfast for the past year or so everyday, they are amazing!

60-70g oats
1 scoop whey protein (strawberry)
200ml milk
handful of raisins(w/cinammon if i dont include whey)
sometimes a selection of nuts
mmmmhmmm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Fringe! said:
Ive had oats for breakfast for the past year or so everyday, they are amazing!

60-70g oats
1 scoop whey protein (strawberry)
200ml milk
handful of raisins(w/cinammon if i dont include whey)
sometimes a selection of nuts
mmmmhmmm!
you could try

1 scoop of whey (unflavoured is probably best)
whole raw eggs (i have 3)
large banana
150-300ml of water to taste
30g powdered oats

blend and serve. Very nice believe it or not!

*raw eggs probably not suitable for pregnant women and the elderly*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All this food talk is making me hungry.

This morning I tried chopped up banana and jam.

What is 'whey'? Im not into this lingo, yet!

And porridge is meant to be a healthy breakfast choice right? and keep hunger locked up till lunch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had a workmate tell me about his way of doing porridge and tried it - I now have it everyday if I can and LOVE it!

put oats in a bowls put some raisins in
cover with a sprinkle of brown demera sugar (I use honey instead but demera is lush as a rare treat)
pour in milk unitl it covers the oat mix (i use skimmed)
leave in fridge overnight

eat in the morning cold

its healthy, easy and delicious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Doesnt sound very healthy to me!

Sargent - Whey is a protein supplement. The protein in cows milk contains 80% casein, and 20% whey (curds & whey). When making cheese, the curd is what makes up the cheese and the whey is the lighter runny part that is left (like the runny but at the bottom of a tub of cottage cheese). This is good stuff and is full of amino acids and goodness. They freeze dry it into powder form.

Sports people use it as a means of getting good quality protein that is fast acting into there body at either times when they can't consume "real" protein foods, for optimum performance/growth or they use it for convenience....al la first thing in the morning or post running/workout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well whey or no whey, im addicted to my porridge now. So much more healthy than sugary muesli or maple and pecan crunch!

Wheeey!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
Great stuff... unless you're training very intensively or specifically targeting muscle gain I'd say there's very little need to add supplements such as whey...

Honey is obviously healthier than your everyday refined sugars, though for weight loss the sugars in fruits would be better still... I have my porridge cold (uncooked) with raisins and a sliced banana... I may well try preparing it the night before and leaving it all to soak overnight - Sounds delicious!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Great stuff... unless you're training very intensively or specifically targeting muscle gain I'd say there's very little need to add supplements such as whey...

Honey is obviously healthier than your everyday refined sugars, though for weight loss the sugars in fruits would be better still... I have my porridge cold (uncooked) with raisins and a sliced banana... I may well try preparing it the night before and leaving it all to soak overnight - Sounds delicious!
Defo the case Richard although It also depends on what your diet looks like. If you struggle to get enough protein in via "Real foods" then it may be a convenent method of sorting this out. Guys that do allot of exercise be it running or weights need a little more protein in there diet than is suggested for the average couch potato.

I like the sound of the cold porridge and fruit soaking overnight! Going to give it a shot!

Also - If trying to lose wieght, i would avoid bananas. Although its sugar from fruit...and better than refined junk...its still sugar! It is quite a slow release energy but will promote quite a large insulin responce witht the appx 25g of sugar which isnt ideal on a diet!

SJ
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
Indeed sugar is still sugar, though my sweet tooth means I would rather not go without ;) Ultimately any calories are going to aid weight increase if we don't burn them off. I guess the best thing is to go for a run once you've eaten :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Indeed sugar is still sugar, though my sweet tooth means I would rather not go without ;) Ultimately any calories are going to aid weight increase if we don't burn them off. I guess the best thing is to go for a run once you've eaten :)
Lets not talk about having a sweet tooth else i may have to eat a couple or 5 of those cream cakes that one of the guys has brought in for his birthday!

Diets are rubbish! :mad:
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top