Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i'm Stuart,

I started running about a year and a half ago to lose weight and generally get fitter.
I'm now running 4 times a week. I ran my first 10k in October(Southend 10k) i ran it in
48:30. I would love to one day run a marathon but i'm not sure if i've got it in me.

I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum so i could talk to some like minded people and hopefully pick up some good hints and tips.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Joining the forum was certainly a good decision... ask anyway with any questions and you'll get plenty of answers and opinions :) No reason at all why a marathon is out of your reach in the future, it just needs a structured training program to get you there!

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stuart

Everyone has a marathon in them, you just need the desire to get it out. Remember objectives are dreams with dates attached.

Do not be in too much of a rush to get to the marathon stage there are all sorts of races to enjoy first. 10k's road and trail, half-marathons, cross-country, strange named events (eg Sodbury Slog) and weird distances eg 11.4k.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum

Ask away, as Richard says there will be many people awaiting with answers / opinions.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Stuart

Welcome to the forum, great time you done on your 10k

Have you thought about the Southend 1/2 which is normally in June it can be a little on the hot side but is quite a good pb course, which for you will be a pb anyway having not done one before.

The other advantage to doing a 1/2 first is the training will be reasonably similar to marathon training and will give you a good insight.

Have you planned any other races for this year?

Best of luck

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Hi Stuart.

Brentwood Half is a nice race. March 9th.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Hi Stuart.

Brentwood Half is a nice race. March 9th.
Are you doing it again Dave, I have decided to leave it as I have been having few problems with my back, I also don't see the point in entering if I have not done the training as I want to beat last years time by a good chunk and I know that isn't going to happen this year :(

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Havn`t entered yet TT.

But I suspect that I will.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hello and welcome stuwhett :)
Take your time (not too much :p ) and you'll see that the marathon really is in you!
Build up to running a half-marathon "comfortably"and move on mfrom there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts