Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, feeling really low coz my running partner told me this morning that she thinks its best if she doesnt come with me anymore coz i tend to run ahead and she doesnt see the point in getting up early to basically run on her own.I can see her point but feel really gutted.:(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried to get on to the Saddleworth running club site but the password they sent me doesnt get accepted everytime i try then when i try to create a new one they say that my username isnt correct its a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Email them to let them know....or have they got a phone number? Are you trying to find out details of when they meet?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh i will do, feel a bit worried about joining a club though coz everyone will be at a faster pace than me and i havent run more than 3 miles in one session yet. But if i dont do it i'll be running on my own which isnt very safe i dont suppose.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was at the same stage when I joined a club last year and I don't you will be the slowest - most clus cater for runners of all abilities and they are really friendly.

I run on my own - the safest times for runing is usually first thing. If you are sensible and don't go anywhere too remote you should be ok. I never run with an ipod so I can always hear if someone is coming up behind me. Just make sure someone at home knows where you are.

Alternatively you could apologise to your current running partner and promise to run at her pace.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh i feel really gulity about that but she doesnt come all the time so thats why we're probably at different stages now and running is all i do so i want to do it properly. She is lucky and can do other things like the gym etc coz she has no children and all the time in the world.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It's very difficult running with people than generally run at a different pace Stotty. I'm sure that joining a running club would be of benefit to both of you. You shouldn't allow the situation to hold you back and if your partner is as keen as you are then they will probably like the idea of a club aswell which would make it less daunting for the first couple of times until you get to know the other members.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks hot foot but i dont think my partners as bothered about running as me unfortunately but i will look into a club. I'm looking forward to my run in the morning coz i can really go for it without worrying about keeping someone else in sight, ha i'll probably do my worst time ever now.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good for you stotty, I found it daunting the first time I ran on my own, but it gave me alot of confidence and now I don't even think about it anymore. Without wanting to put you off just keep your wits about you, but I think this goes for male and female.

Hope you find a club, it will bring you along nicely and keep the enthusiasm up. :d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Stotty said:
thanks hot foot but i dont think my partners as bothered about running as me unfortunately but i will look into a club. I'm looking forward to my run in the morning coz i can really go for it without worrying about keeping someone else in sight, ha i'll probably do my worst time ever now.
I didn't want to suggest it Stotty but perhaps your partner is using the fact that your faster as an excuse to stop running. Don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. It's good that your looking forward to your run and the time is not important.Just enjoy it knowing that you can run as fast or as slow as you want.I run on my own frequently, and although I suggested a club might help I am not a member and don't feel the need . Focus on your own goals,stay positive and use this forum as it is great for keeping the motivation up.
I look forward to reading about your solo run when you post on here next.;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i did it on my own today it was great i done in 27mins which is my best yet, really please with myself.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
So maybe it is a good idea to join a faster runner/group after all ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
well done on your achievement today, but i would still look to joining a club, you are by no means slow and i'm sure you would fit in. I only do 13min miles and i go to a club and run with a lovely group. All the groups go off at there own pace and for different times and distances and we meet up again at the end for a drink and chat. Gets me away from the family for a few hours each week a bit of you time is important.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to look into a club, ive tried to register on line but i'm having a few probs so i'll get the phone number and ring this week. I also know someone from my sons school who runs she was giving me some advice on my knee pain so i might ask her if she knows of a club. All in all its been a good day, would i be over doing it if i went out tomorrow morning as well, that'd make it 3 mornings in a run.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yes it would rest is an active part of your training program particularly as you have been suffering with knee pain.

Don't worry you'll be running half marathons before you know it. Try to do 3 sessions a week: one fastish, one long run and then a recovery run. Allow your body time to recover between runs.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
That varies a lot depending on your fitness level, goals and previous training. The day after my marathon I ran 4 miles. But then I am looking for full recovery after a great effort.
The day after speed work I may run a slow 10 miler. That will provide a good session and still allow me to recover for the next hard one.

Just make sure that you run, don't strain and feel rested the next day :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A recovery run is a slow jog yes and its usually short........depending on your training schedule.

Training for your first 5k is quite different to training for a marathon though isn't it Fulmar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts