Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I intended to do a nice 10mile run since it was sunny, but I felt good so I decided to do a long run. I ran 16.4 miiles and felt fine up until the last mile, when my legs started to hurt. I'd only ever run a half marathon before. I was running at a very comfortable pace, but still completed the 16.4 miles in around 2 hours, so I was probably around 7.19 per mile. I'm wondering if this is the kind of pace I'd likely be running in a marathon. Not that I'm anywhere near ready to run a marathon. Running 16 miles has given me added respect for those who can add another 10 on top of that, but I feel good that I have now run further than I've ever run before. I have to go to Italy for the next 4 days for work, so won't get any running in. that's why I wanted to get a nice long run in today :)

It was quite warm and I didn't take any water or sugar snacks with me. I'm wondering if this is why I was finding mile 16 so hard?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, that's fast for 16 miles :cool:

You probably would have had more energy and been good for a couple more miles if you'd taken a gel or two, but I think a lot of it is just getting your body used to longer distance. It's very different from half marathons, the first few long runs can be quite hard

I'm sure you could keep that pace going for a full marathon, especially since that's only your easy run speed. You could even try to keep it under 7-minute miles and try to crack 3-hours potentially :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right about it being very different from half marathon. I feel exhausted right now. My legs ache a bit and I have been absolutely ravevenous. Probably the calorie deficit. I had only had a muffin and a coffee before the run. But it's weird that I felt fine up until the last mile. At mile 15 I thought, hey I could easily do another 10miles, but by mile 16 I just wanted to be home. it's a funny old game.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Your age suggests that you could potentially run at that speed for a marathon but only if you train properly.

It's said that half way in a marathon is 20 miles, and having run almost 30 marathons I would agree with that statement.

But if you train well, and follow all the guidelines with regard to nutrition, hydration etc then I don't see why you couldn't run at that speed or faster for a marathon

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
great run JBBury... sometimes it's nice to get out and just see how far you can manage! I'm off running completely atm for 2 weeks (doctors says no :( ) so I'd planned to do a nice long run before my lay-off, and managed an 18.3miler and I know exactly what you mean about feeling GREAT and then suddenly it all seems to go wrong, feeling tired, achey and completely out of energy... I've no idea if i'd ever be able to manage an extra 8 miles!!!

I can't believe you managed that run on a muffin and coffee and nothing else - crazy fool! :p I made sure I was fuelled up to the brim and carried gels etc too, and now I just feel like a wimp :rolleyes:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good run JB & Richard. Especially in the heat.

I'm with Trinity on this one having done my first marathon this year, you'd be surprised how you body reacts once you hit 20 miles at a good pace. The last 6 are killers.

With the right training I'm sure you could carry the pace through though & hopefully in much cooler conditions!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well done JBB! I did my furthest run today as well...2.68 miles...Hurrah :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
JBBury said:
........... At mile 15 I thought, hey I could easily do another 10miles, but by mile 16 I just wanted to be home. it's a funny old game.
Just an observation, but I assume you might have been near home at mile 15, in which case I suspect that your head got the better of your heart (and legs) and decided it wanted to go home and not onwards :confused:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
great results all well done :d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts