Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been resting for three years due to vicious shin split . Now, I have been running for two weeks and my legs feel good.

Right now I am overweight , 103kg /185cm, 38 years

I am sticking to a healthy diet and 30 min run / 3 times a week

Is it reasonable for me at this stage to set a target of 35 min or less for 10k in one year?

My plan is i won't run more than 30 min, but i will try to improve my speed

The second question:
Is it possible for my weight to reach sub 90kg if I hit this target

Thanks

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That seems like a tough target for your first year back, especially with trying to lose weight too.

What were your previous times before the injury?

I'm sure you know that tougher the target you set yourself, the higher the injury risk

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
skillipedia said:
Is it reasonable for me at this stage to set a target of 35 min or less for 10k in one year?
Good luck with it, but that is a tough target to set yourself.

Just take your time and dont push yourself into an injury.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum, I agree with trinity and dave, theres nothing wrong with aiming high but if you don't achieve your goals as quickly as you would like it could also leave you feeling a bit demoralised.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi and welcome Skillipedia

I think your target is achieveable, I started running in January this year (never ran before), had 2 1/2 stone in weight to lose and ran the Plymouth 1/2 marathon, I lost the weight and ran the 1/2 in 2 hours 6 minutes at the end of May. Yes it was hard work, but if you are dedicated and sensible, it can be achieved

Good Luck
Jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just do it

Hi skillipedia,

Just a little word of encouragement, i started my running thing on the 11th of Jan 07, i was 106kg when i started, my fist race was plymouth 1/2, i completed this in 1hr 42min, within these 5 months i got my weight down to 75 kg's!! just damn hard work and dedication...it proves you can do what you want if you try hard enough! i have ran 2 other 1/2 marathons so far and my best is 1hr 31mins, i have also done a 10k which i came 4th in 41 mins.
My plan at the start of the year was like yours loose weight and run a respectable time..... my target is to get into the 1hr twenties before the end of the year!! ready for LONDON marathon next year 2008 !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

keep it up and good luck..

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Good Luck Skill with your diet and running, I lost 4 stone over the years and kept it off since 2000 you can do it, but it takes will power and dedication.

YOU will do it if you put your mind to it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Skilli :)

How fast you can run a 10k depends a lot on how fast you are naturally I think. What might work better is if you aim to run a 10k in say 6 or 8 months, at any speed, then from that figure out a target speed that you want to aim for for the year end.

Running will likely help you lose weight also, it certainly helped me and a number of other people here :cool: 13kilos is quite a lot to try and lose quickly, but then a target's no fun if it's not challenging :eek: Please try to listen to your body for both targets, it's much better to come close to your goal in your time and then complete it later, than to chase a target you just can't do and burn out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've shed 11 kilos in 4 months just from doing 30 mins 3 or 4 times a week plus healthy eating and unhealthy drinking. your goal of a 35min 10k seems quite quick to me though. Which is your greater goal, the 35 min 10k or the weight loss?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes i think a bit high!
But nothing wrong with trying but dont do it killing yourself.
It will only put you off trying and make it even harder to come back.
I think we all try to hard sometimes and the next day your body tells you that.

Good Luck:d

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which is your greater goal, the 35 min 10k or the weight loss?
Weight loss and hitting my ideal weight have more priority as I won't be competing.

As I said before I am just looking to run the 30 min with a decent speed.

I spend lots of hours a day glued to my computer and I need to get fit ; otherwise I will end up looking the same as Flat Eric :)

Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi there - with a little more info I can give you some numbers which may be of use?

Firstly, the bad news. I can *PROMISE* you that no-one weighing 103kg's will run a 10km in 35 minutes. Your body is capable of consuming oxygen at a particular rate, described at the VO2max, or the amount of Oxygen your body can consume, in ml, per minute, PER KILO. So by multiplying your VO2max by your weight in kilo's we can work out your engine power, ie the total engine power of your cardio-vascular system if you like. Once this is established, there are other genetic parameters to take into account, and lactate threshold which varies from person to person, the mechanics of your body, but hell we have to start somewhere...

Let's take some greats to start with. Seb Coe had a VO2max of 82 and weighed 54.5 kg's.. which means his engine ran at 4469. Lance Armstrong runs an engine around 6600 or so, he is a genetic freak with large heart, lungs, all abnormal and off the scale, so we are NOT there...

Since you are looking at a weight of 103kg's we can take a decent engine power potential, 3500-4000 and divide that by your weight giving a predicted VO2max of 35-40 ml/min/kg. This VO2max will correspond withing 5% or so with a time, ie at that VO2max, you can move your weight through a distance, at a speed, or at least our AVERAGE person can. This would put you at 103kg's in the 50-56minute range.

Firstly, 50-56minutes is a great time to run the 10k in. forget professional atheletes, forget records. 50-56 minutes is a good time.

Think of this - take your typical 55kg 10k runner and give tem ANOTHER 55kg's to carry, let's see them do a 27minute time then!!

It a balance of weight, and engine power, and a smattering of personal genetics, lactate threshold, skeletal mechanics and muscle group focus, and running economy.

Give us your target weight and height and I'll narrow it down a bit for you. Personally, at 103kg's I'd get on a balanced diet and get down a bit before putting pressure on yourself, and more to the point, your joints!

·
Registered
98 Posts
put it this way, if you had an engine power of 4100 and weighed 10st 9 you could run a 35min 10k :)

I'm 92.9kg's and I run the 10k in 47 minutes or so. I have a large engine power, but that's down to over-interval training. My legs, stamina and endurance are pretty awful and I suffer stiff muscles etc and I compulsively over-eat so losing weight is difficult. I've looked for the shortcuts, but being heavy means you WONT run fast times, that's the reality. Lance Armstrong has about the largest engine ever recorded and at 100kg's he would *JUST* run 35 for the 10k.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Skilli,
I weigh 79 kilos (12st 6lbs) and I'm 6ft 2 in height, so I'm very skinny compared to a lot of guys my height. I've run two 10k's, both in 55 mins reasonably comfortably. I've started only recently to work on my speed a bit and I was astonished to knock off five miles in less than 42 mins the other day, that was something I've never done before, but it was, for me anyway, still an effort. I can't personally comprehend running a 35 min 10K - that's 20 minutes faster than I can do it now!! :eek: :eek: I'd be happy and my life would be complete with a 45 min 10k LOL. Good luck with your plans and I think a lot of it, as luthor says, is down to how we're made up. By the way, I started running to lose weight too and that was probably the most satisfying thing about taking up running. I went from 15st to 11.5st in less than a year running 3-4 times a week. :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm female (obviously) and weigh 55kg and my 10k PB is 42.19, so a bloke weighing the same as me could easily get under 30 mins I reckon, with the extra muscle mass that men have.

Like luthor suggested, I certainly couldn't imagine carrying another 50kg and still running at my pace :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts