Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed looking through the forum and thought I would sign up to see if I can find other people who are struggling as much as I am to become a 'runner'! I am 52 and live in the Highlands of Scotland. 2 years ago I was persuaded to start jogging and to do a 5k Race For Life. I joined the local JogScotland group and found, much to my surprise that I really enjoyed running. However, running does not like me and it was a continual struggle. I did manage to complete two 5k runs (slowly!) that year but then, after a few weeks break due to really heavy work schedule, found my legs had suddenly turned to complete lead. Felt so discouraged I gave up.

Watching my 30 year old daughter (who is incredibly fit) do the Balmoral 10k run this year inspired me to try again and so - once again - I am back to trying to persuade my poor legs that they can and will run!! I have found that - for me - following training schedules just do not seem to work - just because the book says that 'anyone can run for 1m, walk 1m) doesn't mean I can...! I just end up feeling a complete failure so have tried to take the pressure off myself and just do what feels right for my body on any one day. My best approach has been to walk for about 10-15 mins with a few short 30 sec jogs, I then seem able to do a slightly more reasonable run for 5 -10 mins or so once really warmed up. I go out 3 times each week at the moment, in my lunch hour and - very gradually - feel I am making some progress - but it is painfully slow and frustrating...! I walk a lot with my dogs and try to get out on my bike for a few miles once or twice a week so should be reasonably fit. I tried running with a HR monitor last week - attempting to stay in a 'sensible zone'. Gave that up when my heart rate went off the richtor scale just jogging gently.. Assured by a doctor friend that I am not about to expire - advised I threw away the HRM and just try to enjoy what I am doing -so that's where I am now...

Look forward to chatting with you all at some stage. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

You are making progress I like what you say throw the book away and do whats right for you. :) Keep it up

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Altna

Welcome to RunnersForum :)

Run as much as you feel is comfortable to begin with, you will naturally improve, just enjoy...especially while we have decent weather :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum... feel free to ask any questions you have and hopefully we'll be able to help make the whole running experience that little bit more enjoyable :d

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Altna,

Keep at it nice and easy. You'll get there.

Where in the Highlands do you stay?

Richard

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello and welcome Altna:d

What kind of heart rate monitor did you have?. I have a Polar that seems to go mental for the first minute or so - giving readings that would indicate that I'm about to die - but then it settles down and works fairly well for the rest of the run.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello and welcome to RF. Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Nat

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your messages. In answer to your query Richard, I live about 10 miles west of Inverness - beautiful location to live. Only drawback is so many hills...! I did the 5k at the Loch Ness Marathon 2years ago, my daughter did the 10k and my son-in-law the full marathon. Quite a family event. Hope to do the 5k again this year (or even the 10k if I can find some running legs from somewhere..!)

Regards the heart rate monitor, Slow Steve, the one I have is a Timex. Think it is probably me rather than the HRM as it works fine if I am just walking. Have come to the conclusion that my body is just fighting my attempts all the way and panics a bit when it realises that I want to actually run! I am not going to use it for a while as I find I get so caught up in gadgets and 'what I should be doing' that I don't enjoy what I am trying to do.

Actually felt today I was making some progress - took less time to warm up, ran a slightly different route and found that a bit easier to get into. Overall 35 mins with less walking breaks than usual so - I AM getting there - just very gradually.

I currently run in Sauconay Hurricane 8 shoes (fitted at a running shop) but I sometimes wonder whether I might be better with a shoe that gives less motion control and more cushioning. As most of my running is on woodland tracks - lots of tree roots and uneven surface - I am unsure whether these shoes are the right ones as I sometimes feel that they are holding my feet perhaps a little too rigid and consequently get a few aches up the side of my legs. I have quite a high arch to my feet. Too costly to just go and get a different pair without feeling fairly confident they may help. Unfortunately no shops within 100 miles that do the gait analysis so not really a practical option. Any ideas?

Altna

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome from another relitively newbie.

My unprofesional opinion: when I started I walked for 30 mins. Once I could do that I added a 1 min run/walk at the end for as long as was comfy.

Once I built that to a 30 min walk, 30 min run/walk I started building to a 2 min run/1 min walk. Etc

It took 6 weeks to get to a 30 min run at 5 mph. I then started to the next goal.

Only you can know when you are ready for the next step, but if you keep going you will get there. The minute you try to move on too fast you will end up taking two steps back.

Good luck and I am sure you will get there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure you are all right about doing what feels right for ourselves. I do feel I am making some progress albeit very slow. As you say, try to go too fast and you go back two steps - or more!

Will let you know what progress I make in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Altna
Stick with it, you'll be an addict in no time. I took up running in my 40s and after a few injuries have realised that the stretching at the end of a run/walk is what keeps me injury free and prepares my muscles for a better effort in the next run. It's a slow build up, but worth it. There is nothing like running for clearing your head and making you feel better about yourself.
I started with Saucony shoes and they were great but take the chance to get a gait analysis when next possible or if you have a relative who could watch you running they might be able to tell you if you over pronate a lot and need a special sort of shoe. As to needing more cushioning - woodland trails are quite kind to your feet, much better than tarmac. Leap over the roots and your feet will toughen up in time!!!!!!
Penny

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi Everyone. I live about 10 miles west of Inverness - beautiful location to live. Only drawback is so many hills....Altna
There are many on this forum who'll tell you that hills can do you nothing but good - me for one, and Trinity is a great believer in hill reps too. I live fairly high up in the Pennines and most weekends are spent in even higher places such as the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and even bonny Scotland, walking and running. In fact I've recently got back from a coast to coast walk from Lochailort to St Cyrus and I finished off the Munros 6 years ago, running an awful lot of them. I firmly believe if it wasn't for hills I'd never have achieved the successes I've had in races, from 100m to marathons. So don't be afraid of them. Use them.
Cheers!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi

Glad to say I feel I am slowly but steadily making progress. Managed to get the Gait Analysis done on a trip 'down South' and bought some Brooks GST 8s with heel lifts. These shoes feel like they give me more support than the Hurricanes. Since having them have managed two runs of 1.5m and the legs actually feel better when I finish than when I start! Even managed not to trip over any tree roots recently!

Thanks for all the messages.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Hrun.
Will keep you posted. Was just off looking at the Loch Ness 5k and 10k run routes in October. Will definitely do one or the other. Did the 5k 2 years ago then the legs decided to turn to lead and lost heart so no running since until tempted to start again about 6 weeeks ago. Debating whether to aim for the 10k this time - but don't want to go putting myself under too much pressure. Got time to think about it before entries close so will just see how I feel in a few weeks time....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts