Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:d

I've just started running and am the sort of person who has to know everything about anything i do, so I thought this might be a good place to start my education!

I've entered my first race later this month, the Epsom Downs 'Dash' 5km run on 19 October to give me a target event. I've run a few 5kms on the Downs so I think I'll survive, but I'm certainly not going to be top half, or even top 75% I guess :)

I have two questions at this stage, but will have loads more soon no doubt...

1) Can I change my profile name as I typed a capital "L" by mistake! No biggie, but I'll change it if I can

2) With the weather turning, the prospect of running in a t-shirt and shorts is losing its appeal. What do most people run in? Does it matter much? How many layers do people wear etc?

I guess I want to be warm over a 10km sort of distance. I went out yesterday morning and it was my fingers that seemed to get coldest - bad circulation or normal?

Anyway, really just wanted to say Hi, and whilst I hope to join an Epsom running club soon, if anyone wants to do a slow run round Epsom Downs at any point let me know. It must be easier with company!

Alistair

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I go running in a t-shirt and jogging bottoms whatever the weather. I did have a pair of capri pants but they got ruined by a dog during one of my runs!

I've only ever gone running in another layer once in May when it seemed quite cold out, I put on a fleece top over my t-shirt but I soon got too hot and had to take it off. I've read that you should dress for weather thats 20 degrees warmer than it actually is when you go running as you'll soon warm up as you get going.

When it gets to winter and even colder I might consider a running jacket but at the mo a t-shirt seems fine even if its raining.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi and welcome. I have highlighted your name request with our own stig :)

As to running gear, I am still running in a tee and sweating like a good un. I am thinking about gloves as my fingers were cold this morning.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I cant imagine running in gloves as my hands always get so hot and swell up

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I cant imagine running in gloves as my hands always get so hot and swell up
Thats my problem. I was cold at first but later I would have been too hot and had to carry them. We need some winter vets on here as this will be my first winter and I can see me stuggling with layers.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes the same goes for clothes, I was considering getting a running jacket (I saw a woman running in one today) for the winter but dont know if it would be any better than my fleece hoodie or a bog standard jogging top?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing, Lizzy! At the moment I wear an old pair of capri pants and a T-shirt and on colder days I start off with a zip-up tracky top I can take off when I get too warm. It hasn't yet been cold enough for me to need to keep the tracky top on all the way round. My ears are very susceptible to the cold, so I reckon I'll probably have to dig out my fleece headband before too much longer, but as for the rest, I'll wait and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts