Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to do a short speed run to see if my 5k time is any better than it was a year ago. I haven't ever really pushed myself over 5k for a while and usually just measure my 5k when part of a longer run. Anyway, I took a minute off my previous best with a time of 18.56 :) I'm over the moon. I checked the route with pedomoter and car so I know it was exactly 3.1 miles it was relatively flat, but there was a bit of a headwind in places) Now I want to go faster, so maybe I'll run some more 5ks. I should probably run a timed 10k as well to see if I can get it below 41 or maybe even 40 minutes. Anyway, could do with advice on getting a 5k time down a bit. My pace wasn't at all even. These were my splits: Each stage is a little over a mile (1.03)

1st stage - 6.06 (I ran the first half mile in 2.29, which was far too fast but adrenalin was pumping and I felt good)

2nd stage - 6.35 (I was feeling a bit tired so the pace went off)

3rd stage 6.15 (I pushed myself at the end and managed to get a bit of a sprint finish)

Anyway, next time should I try and run more even splits? would this improve my time?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
definately try and run more even splits, an even effort will almost certainly be a faster effort. Also, try entering a 5k race... you'd be surprised what the race adrenaline will do for you time ;)

Congrats btw! a fantastic improvement!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
EEK thats really good and quick JB well done.

Its really good when you get better. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts