Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Courtesy of a Google search I have been directed here and, having had a read through several people's stories, think I may need to contribute some of my own problems!
Having just found employment as a pilot, I am now required to obtain a medical certificate every year from now on for the rest of my flying career. There are no specific areas dictating what exercise I must do and when I must do it, but I thought to myself that this may be a turning point in my life when I should start thinking more seriously about taking better care of myself!
I used to be a keen runner a few years back at high school, but as life became busier I found that I just didn't have the time or motivation to keep up with it.
So earlier on today I decided to have another go and have a run down to the roundabout at the bottom of the main road near where I live and back, a return journey of about one mile. No probs, I thought, it's a nice day! Oh dear, was I in for a self shocker... Less than about 90 seconds into getting settled into a steady pace, I just started to ache all around my abdominal area; best described as a 'stitch' that is in the stomach area as opposed to the side. It was very frustrating, as in cardiovascular and muscular terms I was all raring to go, no problems, but I just found it impossible to run with this pain.

So I'm left wondering, is this a common problem - did it result from not warming up properly? I gave my legs a good stretch but forgot to twist my body and do a few sit ups - is this advisable? Or am I simply pushing myself too hard?

Physically I am at a good weight for my height and quite strong - the other day I even found myself in a situation where I had to jump and land from a 10 ft. height with no problems! And in short bursts I am very agile, it's only specifically running where I encounter this problem within a couple of minutes but I really want to get into this sport as I believe that it is one of the healthiest forms of exercise around, and most importantly, I feel that if I can build into a steady routine, it is something that I will come to really enjoy as well.

All advice will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read a somewhat long winded post!

All the best, Jason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Hi,

The obvious answer is that you went off too quick....you need to allow your body to get used to running again and therefore should take it easy to start with and gradually build up pace and distance.

Don't worry about TT...She's always repeating herself!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Don't worry about TT...She's always repeating herself!!!![/QUOTE]


I don't know how that happened :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Runaway :)

The odd wierd pain / ache when you've just started running is not uncommon. It'll more than likely fade with a little time, meanwhile you could try starting off slower & see if that helps.

I get stitches too, does anyone know if sit-ups or other abdominal exercises help reduce these?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Runaway737 said:
Hi everyone,
I just started to ache all around my abdominal area; best described as a 'stitch' that is in the stomach area as opposed to the side. It was very frustrating, as in cardiovascular and muscular terms I was all raring to go, no problems, but I just found it impossible to run with this pain. All the best, Jason.
Although 'Stitch' usually occurs at the side of the abdomen it can also occur in the middle, which you describe as the stomach area. To quote Vivian Grisogono: "The ligament linking your diaphragm to your digestive system can become tense during exercises which put vibrating stress through your abdomen, like running. Other causes include gas in the bowel, or liver congestion".
I never do any of the warm-up exercises you suggest. Try setting off very slowly, at least for the first half mile, then gradually wind it up to your optimum pace. If you get stitch, stop if you have to, breathe deeply and stretch your abdomen, away from the painful side. Some runners alleviate it by controlling their breathing and leaning forward as they continue to run. It could be partly psychological too, i.e. the stress associated with starting something new. God forgive me for ever suggesting this, but an Mp3 player might help to settle your mind in the early stages of taking up running.
So persevere with it, but take it gently in the initial stages. I'm sure you'll be OK once your body and mind have adapted to it.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Cheers!
PS. If I were to jump ten feet I'd probably never run again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Whilst on the subject of stitches last night, as we came towards the end of training...and testosterone kicked in for the final 200m...I suffered a stitch for the first time since I don't know when.

Previously when suffering a stitch I've recovered by controlled breathing and leaning forward as RF says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
I am the same as Foxy, I don't warm up prior to running either I set off slowly and pick up pace as I warm up and even when I have finished running I don't stretch until I have had a shower, which by the way is straight away :p

I do however suffer with stitches and there are no rhyme or reason to them I can go for long spells without getting them and then I will get a spate of them, I have tried several things to stop them, the one I find most effective is to slow my pace and punch out breaths, it doesn't cure it completely but does help, mine can last for a few miles :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
Steve said:
Whilst on the subject of stitches last night, as we came towards the end of training...and testosterone kicked in for the final 200m...I suffered a stitch for the first time since I don't know when.

Previously when suffering a stitch I've recovered by controlled breathing and leaning forward as RF says.
I get that now and again, but i think its due to tensing up too, i get it at different stages, it lasts for about 5 mins then goes, but its never that painful to stop.

I had it too last night but i know its down to not controlling my breathing properly, and suffering with a cold still doesnt help.

Or reps or hill training :p :embarrassed: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
I get that now and again, but i think its due to tensing up too, i get it at different stages, it lasts for about 5 mins then goes, but its never that painful to stop.

I had it too last night but i know its down to not controlling my breathing properly, and suffering with a cold still doesnt help.

Or reps or hill training :p :embarrassed: ;)
I'd blame the trainer if I were you.....:p :rolleyes: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Katten said:
Hahahahaha:d ;) We have you on record now, RF :p
Actually I love my MP3 player, especially when I'm commuting or camping wild. The only time I've used it for running is when training for mountain running events on long (1 mile) hard (1 in 4) hills. At such times I'm able to pace it better while listening to music.
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Jason,
I had exactly what you described as abdominal pains when I took up running again after a 2 year lay-off. It continued for about two weeks, but gradually getting less and less. It was definitely a muscle pain as opposed to a stitch. I think it was previously idle muscles being brought back to life! Very sore, but push on because it will disappear:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,801 Posts
Rob said:
Jason,
I had exactly what you described as abdominal pains when I took up running again after a 2 year lay-off. It continued for about two weeks, but gradually getting less and less. It was definitely a muscle pain as opposed to a stitch. I think it was previously idle muscles being brought back to life! Very sore, but push on because it will disappear:)
I have to agree with you Rob as when i started up running again nearly two years back now. I had stitches all the time and sore stomach muscles,for the first few weeks. I ran through my stitches. It gradually got better on its own. Iv always done abdominal exercises but this made no difference to me when i stated up running, so it does go to show that we dont use a lot of our muscles untill we do some thing else hayley
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top