Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started training for a ½ marathon in September. I've done 6-8km runs 3 or 4x a week for a couple of years now, but the step up is still proving tough. :confused:

I'm a fairly slim bloke, enjoy weights workouts, and have built up ok muscle bulk for my size - enough to maintain, not too much to become obsessive.

However, with running, I find I'm losing upperbody bulk quickly. Which I don't want to lose!

Does anyone have any suggestions as a course of action?

I run 4x week (long on weekends), and try and get at least 3 weights sessions in a week.
I eat healthily, and don't really drink.

I don't take any suppliments or protein drinks, as I don't want to bulk up - just maintain the bulk I have (and not get it around the belly!).

Help! Anyone?! :(

Is there something I should be trying - a drink / food / suppliment / type of training?

·
Registered
10 Posts
hehe.....throws some of his excess flab at witters......

dont you think thats magnanimous of me?????besides i dont have much so i guess people will have to contribute!!!!

xxx.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Make sure you are eating enough before, during and after your long runs - if calories in equals calories out then your weight shouldn't really change (and it hopefully won't shift from your muscles to your belly).

As for what to eat/drink then you can go for special protein and carbo foods if you want, but I also know that beer (and beer shandy) is supposed to be a good post-run drink :embarrassed:)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Beer after a run.I knew one day I would be told I was doing the right thing by somebody who knows best.
Cheers Hollywood,you`ve made my day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts