Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Tom and im currently training for the Parachute Regiment, ok now my little intro is done. Im off on holiday in 4 days and I dont want to lose my running fitness whilst im there for 2 weeks with no were to run. Can anyone sugest things I could do to keep my run time the same or close too, I dont want to undo my hard training ive done whilst at home. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Tom, I'm thinking the same thing. I have worked hard over the last 6 months to get my fitness levels up to the point where my time per mile has dropped from over 11 mins to under 8 mins. I know that if i do nothing for two weeks I will have to spend weeks getting my fintness back when I return.

I plan to take my runing kit with me and run whilst i am on hols, though I guess due to the heat this is going to have to be early in the morning. I have a GPS watch so I will know times & distances. I am just hoping there is somewhere I can actually run that is going to be safe ( i.e. no serious pot holes or maniac drivers ).

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
1 week off on hols shouldn't make too much difference to fitness levels as long as you don't binge eat/drink!

I'd take my kit with me to do a few short runs early morning. If running not an option try swimming.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I reckon the break could probably do your more good than harm providing that , like Steve said, you don't binge. Enjoy yourself without worrying to much. It will take more than a couple of weeks to undo your hard work to a great extent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great relpys lads, Ill take my kit with me just incase there is someware I can do a little run and im also going to get down to the hotel gym for a bit everyday and do swimming aswell. Im also going to keep up my healthy eating whilst there and I dont drink much prob 1 or 2 a week at most and hopefully I wont be affected to much. Cheers

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
dooley said:
Thanks for the great relpys lads, Ill take my kit with me just incase there is someware I can do a little run and im also going to get down to the hotel gym for a bit everyday and do swimming aswell. Im also going to keep up my healthy eating whilst there and I dont drink much prob 1 or 2 a week at most and hopefully I wont be affected to much. Cheers
Make sure you enjoy your holiday :d TT

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Blimey, if you are going to go to the gym every day and combine swimming as well then I can't see any problem at all. - good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got back from my two weeks hols this weekend. My wife thinks I am very sad as I was getting up to go running at 6.30am before it got too hot.

Managed to get out 5 times in the two weeks, so more than happy. Better still got back and got a new PB on one of my favourite training runs.

As I run with a GPS watch I have also got some nice new Menorca routes in my training log now !.

Wife still thinks I am sad though !.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I've managed to time my holiday so that it falls exactly half way through my training for the my marathon and also two days after the Glasgow Half, where I'm going to push for a good time (well, good time for me at least).

I'm going to use it as a R&R week, so I'm refreshed for the last eight weeks of training. I'm going to make sure I take Steve's suggestion of not bingeing on the food or drink, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im back now lads did my first run today since comming back and thanks to swimming every other day and press ups, sit ups etc my fitness has stayed the same through out the 2 weeks.:d

·
Registered
30 Posts
im dreading my holiday in a way!!!!! i go in 7 weeks, i went to the same country 2 years ago and i binged big style, put a lot of weight on, then i started running etc and lost it, now im going back!!!! sad but i chose the hotel with the biggest pool and the air conditioned gym! im hoping to come back with better fitness than i went with!!!! ;) there was an article in mens health or mens fitness that was a hotel room workout, mainly things like pressups on an incline off your bed, tricep dips of the bed, clock squats and basic stuff like that, it may be worth looking at something like that aswell?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tom

glad you kept your fitness up while away - did you manage any runs?

I reckon holidays can be a great opportunity to improve your running, get motivated by new surroundings and are also a chance to set new goals.

We always plan our running to fit into our holidays - and often come home fitter after the break. Sad - I know - but we actually planned our mini-honeymoon around running... (have a look at our blogsite below under April 2007 posts)

Have a look at this article that captures running while away: (sorry you'll have to google search as I can't post urls yet...)

A Breakthrough Running Vacation - How a Vacation Can Launch Your Running to a New Level, By Robert H. Cox

I'd plan some running goals before you leave on your holiday - "Vacations are the chance to focus on the things you care about, and to discover if these include running. It’s a time not so much to develop a special training plan, but to completely follow through on the one that you already have, ideally in a new setting that makes running a delight"

Where did you go for your holiday? Were there walking trails or nature parks ect in the area? We always look for maps of some trail walks of reasonable distance in a new area, and run them instead. We've found that it usually takes half the time to run a trail than the recommended walk time. Also - mountain bike guides are really good to check out cause the routes are also great for runners.

I'd say GO FOR IT next time you go on hols - you'll feel better for it and can enjoy your holiday food and grog even more knwoing you deserved it

·
Registered
16 Posts
coolerking said:
im dreading my holiday in a way!!!!! i go in 7 weeks, i went to the same country 2 years ago and i binged big style, put a lot of weight on, then i started running etc and lost it, now im going back!!!! sad but i chose the hotel with the biggest pool and the air conditioned gym! im hoping to come back with better fitness than i went with!!!! ;) there was an article in mens health or mens fitness that was a hotel room workout, mainly things like pressups on an incline off your bed, tricep dips of the bed, clock squats and basic stuff like that, it may be worth looking at something like that aswell?
Hi

with your new found love of the fells and trails you'll be able to get some good runs in on holiday i'm sure !!

cheers
Sarah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts