Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday.

Woke up feeling very positive, very focussed. This morning I received a telegram from Hayley Haining, it said "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND WHETHER YOU ARE RUNNING OR NOT, SOME OF US HAVE LIVES TO LEAD. THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND YOU, YOU KNOW!". That's just one of the many fantastic messages of support I've had over the last few months as I try to put Athens (yuch!!) behind me. It's really given me a lift.

This afternoon a gigantic bee stung me on the foot which then, according to my physio, swelled up to 2.8 times its normal size. Lucky it wasn't 3 times its normal size I say!! When I told Gary he rolled his eyes and stormed out of the room in sympathy. I'm really lucky to have his support.

Monday.

This morning, on my training run, I was struck by lightning and had to be taken to hospital. Luckily, it happened in mile 20. If it had happened in mile 1 I would have been a bit peeved I don't mind telling you!! Nobody else in the training camp was struck by lightning (it wasn't even raining at the time!!) so I guess I must be blessed. Maybe God did it, in which case I feel really grateful for his message of goodwill.

Tuesday.

A piano fell on my head this morning. I was a bit miffed at first but my skull is only a little bit fractured so I guess that's a positive. Also, it will be useful "acclimatisation" should it start rainig pianos during the actual race, which can only be a good thing. When I told Gary about it he was very supportive "What the Hell is wrong with you? It's like living with Job for Chrissake!". I'm lucky to have him, when things are tough he really gives me a lift and helps keep me grounded

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wednesday.

Woke up this morning with severe stomach cramps and spent most of the morning in the bathroom. This proved quite tricky as I find it very difficult to "go" if I'm not in front of millions of people.

This afternoon my new anti-gravity, zero-weight cross-training high-altitude simulator arrived, designed by my personal physiologist Dr Heinz Zarkoff (formerly of NASA). Gary was very impressed: "Why don't you just enter the thing for the race?" he asked "it's got more chance of finishing than you have". I don't know where I'd be without him; he truly is my "rock" !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts