Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im currently training for a half marathon in october but iv recently recovered from a back/hip injury which meant i was training less for a couple of months.
Im quite small, a uk size 8 and because im back up to training properly again, about 5 days a week at the moment, just doing small runs to ease back into it, but my weight is falling off me and i cant seem to find anything on the net thats gonna keep the weight on naturally. im really reluctant to do the whole supplements route so can anyone suggest anything that will help me keep the weight on and still be able to train as much?
I saw on gordon ramseys F word that PJ Smoothies are quite fattening but also full of goodness so im drinking that a bit more now but i still need a bit more, iv only been training properly again for 2 weeks and iv lost weight already.

Sorry for babbling! hopefully someone will make sense of this! its one of my first posts though!

Thanks!

xxx

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I hate you already :p

Wish I could eat more and still lose weight. It is hard going sometimes.

Sorry I have no idea how to put it on other than eating more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:S sorry! lol

im trying to eat more meals but iv been told to train less and let the weight build up first but now im back on a roll after my injurys its hard to back down again after so long not training.
think its gonna be eat way more through the day when i can and lots of smoothies.
:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Damny you!!! Another very jealous runner... weight loss for me is pretty damn slow, no matter how hard I train!

Can't suggest anything other than eating more to be honest! You could try some more strength work to build muscle mass? I've heard some ladies complain of putting weight on when they start running!!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Consider youself very luck indeed, perhaps try eating more and more often ha ha rather than little and often :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I gained weight after i had been running for about 6 months... must be muscle gain as i dont eat anymore than i used too.

You need to bulk up on the carbs i guess, eat things that will give you the energy and are not just sugary fatty foods.

My hubby drinks milkshakes and adds egg white powders to them to bulk him up as he loses weight also.

That has worked for him, he has one after he works out at home.

May be worth a try for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an easy one.

If you are loosing weight, your calorie intake is lower than your energy expenditure.

Calculate your expenditure and keep a nutrition diary to ensure you are meeting your energy requirements. Bare in mind this loss may be fat so could be advantageous, however without knowing your body fat percentage I would not like to say.

Supplements will not help apart from giving you an easy way of consuming calories, although based on your training volume your expenditure wont be that high for this to be required (unless you have a very active job).

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will have to eat very calorie dense food to increase your daily intake.

Post up your average daily diet so Peeps can mak some suggestions.

The easiest way to increase calories without giving you a bloat would be to add a little more healthy fats. This is because:

1g CARBS = 4 CALORIES
1g PROTEIN = 4 CALORIES
1g FAT = 9 CALORIES

if the calories going in are less than the calories out then you will lose weight. Time to beef up the diet before your shorts start falling down when your out running :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

my average daily diet is.

Breakfast. a piece of toast with marmalade and a cup of tea
Dinner: A sandwich, ham or egg usually, a kitkat, packet of crisps, cold sausage roll and a drink
Tea: varies, but usually something with potatoes or pasta.
and iv just started to have supper too, and that will be a bowl of cereal. (cheerios)

Any ammendments are easily made.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

:):)

·
Registered
278 Posts
What do you drink all day ? That would be an opportunity to add calories without having the inconvenience of more meals. You could add several hundred calories a day drinking milk , fruit juice etc instead of tea, water, diet drinks.

As you've said a smoothies would make a differance. I used to have one with eggs, milk, and strawberries/bananas in a past life and that was pretty tasty actually.

Make tupperware your friend perhaps so that more substantial meals can be taken to work for lunch rather than a sandwich. Rice and pasta are the obvious choices for high carbs I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lol :(:)lol:

i will indeed add chocolate to my day.
at the moment i do drink alot of tea in work, and i drink peach robinsons alot too. but smoothies and/or fruitjuice could easily be added in there. :)

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

my average daily diet is.

Breakfast. a piece of toast with marmalade and a cup of tea
Dinner: A sandwich, ham or egg usually, a kitkat, packet of crisps, cold sausage roll and a drink
Tea: varies, but usually something with potatoes or pasta.
and iv just started to have supper too, and that will be a bowl of cereal. (cheerios)

Any ammendments are easily made.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

:):)
some easy any healthy changes would be to have a couple of eggs with breakfast, even just the one with your toast.

add some fats from a source you enjoy. Olive oil, coconut oil or decent unsalted butter (anchor).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Little M.

According to Bob Glover, the average person will lose several pounds of weight within the first week of a training schedule.

Are you taking in enough fluids?

Why are you worried about the weight loss?

If you are losing weight then you must be creating a calorie deficit as has been said already.

As long as you keep to a healthy diet and maintain the correct calorific intake then your weight will stabilise.

As your muscle mass increases you will naturally burn more calories too. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

It is commonly estimated that the average person uses 100 calories per mile of running. (This varies from individual to individual). The type of running session will also cause this to vary.

So if you're running say 20 miles a week at an easy pace, then perhaps build in the extra 2000 over the period along with your recommended daily intake- but keep the extra calories healthy.

If you run at a slower pace your body will prefer to burn fat. At a hard pace it will use it's other resources as fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again thanks everyone for the advice. it all helps =D

Why are you worried about the weight loss?

If you are losing weight then you must be creating a calorie deficit as has been said already.
period along with your recommended daily intake- but keep the extra calories healthy.

Its more my other half whos worried about me losing weight but i have noticed a bit of lost weight too. iv always trained alot so i dont think its to do with just starting training, i was a semi pro gymnast so iv always trained alot.
Your right about the calorie deficit though, i think where im going wrong is im eating the same on a training day as i would on a non training day so im not really replacing what im using. :confused:

You guys have all been great on here. =D

xxx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts