Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday (July 8th) my partner and I ran the Kilburn '7' - officially measured at 7 miles 351 yards - and part of the Kilburn Gala, so plenty to keep the non runners interested during the race. It's a cracking race on a mainly traffic-free road circuit described as 'challengingly undulating' - a euphemism meaning 'hilly'. Actually it's not all that bad. It passes through charming little villages, past Byland Abbey with views across to the famous White Horse carved out of the hillside. There were 242 finishers of which yours truly could only manage 74th. The winner set a new course record with his 36.33 - a long way ahead of my 53.54. Probably attracted by the offer of a bottle of wine for all finishers over 65 years old, I'd a bit of competition when three other MV75's surprisingly turned up. It's amazing. Dangle a bottle of wine in front of them and they'll crawl out of the woodwork and go round on their hands and knees if necessary! Anyhow, it was a very good day, coming home with 1st prize for the wrinklies and a nice Spanish red to go with the steak. My partner missed winning 1st LV60 by 16 seconds. Looks like I'll have to step up her training!
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You may have been "only" 74th but that was still a half decent time considering the course RF.

SWMBO won a bottle of wine yesterday too for beating her estimated 5k time by some 3 mins......and it hasn't been opened yet!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts