Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am just new to "road running", in the sense, i have ran on a treadmill quite a bit.I used to run about 5 miles on a treadmill,just to keep fit. But recently i decided that a career in the armed forces was for me.Obviously the fitness level i have to gain is quite high, so i thought it was best to start road running, as i know its harder than running on a treadmill.I worked out a local route of approx 2 miles, and brought myself some running trainers (mr.prepared),but the first time i ran this route i found myself having calves of stone, by the end of the route my cardio seemed ok, in the sense i wasnt panting like crazy and didnt have a stich, but my calves were so painful, and very very tight. i thought maybe this was just a newbie shock. But in subsequent runs the pain is getting no better, if anything worse !
Is there anyway of stopping this pain ?Am i doing something wrong ?
Any help would be great.
thanks...Jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I do stretch first, and i also try to start off slowly as a bit of a warm up before going on to a jogging pace.
one thing i didnt mention earlier, which may make a difference is my other sports.. powerlifting, i have training at this for 3 years, and squat twice a week. Is it possible this has shortened my calves ? if so is it possible to carry on running without having to stop the spot i love.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure about shortened calves, so I can't help you there - it might just be a case of using muscles that you haven't used in a while.

When i switched from the treadmill to roads my calves did hurt for a while, my run is round a park so I can mix between the paths and grass - so it could just be the impact of a harder surface? Maybe some seasoned runners have some other advice??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts